Nuclear powered Battleship?

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Marcelo wrote:
But Karl, what was the intended mission for the Battleship Task Force?
It was a Navy idea. It was something called the "1,000 ship Navy" as far as I recall. It was mention in the book written by Colonel Harry Summer "On Strategy: A Critical Analysis of the Gulf War".
Summer was quite famous because he was one of the public supporters of the "Praetorian Critique" of the Viet Nam War: the military went there with their hands tied by Kennedy, McNamara and Johnson. Other public figure that stand behind this position is former colonel Hal Moore, who was potraited by Mel Gibson in the movie "We were Soldiers".
Have a good weekend!
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

An interesting note about the Vietnam debacle; the North Vietnamese absolutely insisted that USS New Jersey be withdrawn from the theater as part of any cease fire agreement.
Karl Heidenreich

I found this, quite interesting, in a thread very similar to this one but in the HMS Hood Asociation forum:
Interesting coment regarding nuclear power for the Iowa's. A number of years ago, I was speaking to a high ranking U.S. Navy officer,( naturally, it would not be prudent to reveal his identity) and he confided that the powers that be were giving serious consideration to fitting the Iowa's with nuclear powerplants, as the Navy department were "pleased" with the way "Missouri" and "Wisconson" had performed in the 1st Gulf War. The Gulf War showed that having a ship, impervious to missile's and suchlike, increased the flexibilty of the battlegroup, offering unrivalled shore bombardment, missile platform, and concentrated point defence abilities. An Iowa fitted with nuclear engines (even taking cost into account) would present a multi-role, high speed floating fortress that no other hostile naval craft could possibly match. Dont forget, in todays world climate, World War Three cant be totally rulled out, and 4 "nuked up" battlewagons would be one hell of a card up your sleeve. It is interesting to note that all four Iowa's are kept in unusually good shape, considering they are "officially" just museum's. Just as in the eighties, when all four battleships were modernised for less than the price of one "Perry" class frigate, the cost of re-activating and converting to nuclear power, might be very favourable compared to building new vessels, which would have nowhere near the flexibility or sheer punch of a battleship.
How many times have the Iowa's been written off? The way things are going at the moment with the war on terror and all the rest of the jumped up little upstarts in the world causing hassle, I would wager that I, J, Mo and Winny will be back in business within a decade.
Funny how Battleship Buffs everywhere sooner or later got the same ideas. The whole concept of using the Iowas as armoured cruise missile and shipwreck missile + 9 x 16" Mark VII guns is quite tempting, considering that nowaday warships are fragile as the USS Cole or HMS Sheffield.
Somewhere I read that the warheads in today´s anti ship missiles aren´t very heavy, compared with a 16" AP shell.

Best regards!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Well, you may presume as being the originator of the idea.
Karl Heidenreich

Hi Marcelo,

what´s funny is that people think about similar ideas from time to time. The idea of this forum, being hypothetical, is to do so. And, being the Iowas the only service capable Battleships in the world is not that silly to think about to modernize them into the XXI century.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:The whole concept of using the Iowas as armoured cruise missile and shipwreck missile + 9 x 16" Mark VII guns is quite tempting, considering that nowaday warships are fragile as the USS Cole or HMS Sheffield.
I don't put USS Cole in the same ballpark as HMS Sheffield. Cole is build entirely of steel, and doesn't have an aluminum superstructure. Considering the amount of explosive detonated next to her hull, she held up extremely well and stayed afloat. So did USS Stark, hit by two exocets. These are not fragile ships at all, and I would willingly put one up against USS Iowa at 40km or more.
Summoner

Post by Summoner »

Regarding the concern of some about the possibility of the reactor being damaged by a missile attack -- why not up-armor the Iowas, specifically in the sections where the reactor will be held? Earlier it was stated that there could be significant weight savings by installing a reactor and not carrying around so much oil. I know of at least a few instances in WWII battleships where certain areas were up-armored around the magazines. Couldn't the same apply to the reactors?

As far as the Iowa's vulnerabilities to torpedo attack is concerned, I might argue that a nuclear-powered Iowa might also be able to up-armor locations "below the belt" to make the ship more resistant to torpedo hits. I'll admit, all this adding of armor may either not be enough, or would greatly affect the ship's ability as a floating gun platform. Still, if you're gonna open up the Iowas and put new powerplants in them, you might as well upgrade the armor while you have them open!

Personally, I'd rather not see the Iowas brought back into service. Sure, one might be able to upgrade them to today's technology and make them formidable weapons of intimidation. However, I would liken them to your basic home computer -- no matter how many times you upgrade it, eventually you'll get to a point where you won't be able to upgrade it anymore, or you'll have upgraded it so much that it no longer resembles the original computer.

I'd much rather see the US Navy design a 21st-century battleship that could resolve all the drawbacks we note of the Iowas today. I believe our enemies, whomever they may be in the future, will develop better defenses against missile attacks, and could possibly develop undersea submarines that could even pose a threat to our current fleet of subs. What they may not develop is a proper defense against the "simple" artillery shell. Yes, a new ship would be big budget -- more like really huge budget! However, I have to believe that the dollars spent would be more than made up in terms of costs and lives saved in the long run.

Purely conjecture on my part. I look forward to hearing your opinions on this! :D
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

With all the reasoning above we might just as use a 17th century ship of the line and add 16" guns and a nuclear reactor. The Iowa's are ancient history. They were obsolote the moment the came of the slipway and have been generally useless. If you have them, why not use them. But storing missiles and adding missile defenses could also be applied to container ships. Their armour is grossly insufficient against any modern weapon. I always laugh when people say her armour is inpenetrable. Just for the fun of it, a modern 120mm gun can peneratre more than 800mm of steel. If I roll a batalion of tanks on a roro ferry and somehow manage to get close to an Iowa, she's in trouble.

I really don't understand why people think a 16" shell cannot be stopped or is somehow superior to a missile. If a missile hits mach three and choses to follow a ballistic trajectory she is a 16" shell; more powerful and heavier. Can chose to go faster. And change course. Can do lots of things. Can be launched from a small frigate. All the things a 16" gun and shell cannot.
Gary

Post by Gary »

If I roll a batalion of tanks on a roro ferry and somehow manage to get close to an Iowa, she's in trouble.

And if your ferry is struck by a 16" shell (which is highly probable) then she's in big trouble :wink:
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

Sure, but there's lot of things that float that can be used :D
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I presume Iowa´s are not intended to sail alone, they should be in company of a carrier force, so that closing to her would be very difficult. But as posted previously, she may be attacked by a low yield nuclear-tipped antiship missile, which may render the ship useless thru radiation and EMP if it failed to sink her.
Summoner

Post by Summoner »

foeth wrote:With all the reasoning above we might just as use a 17th century ship of the line and add 16" guns and a nuclear reactor. The Iowa's are ancient history. They were obsolote the moment the came of the slipway and have been generally useless. If you have them, why not use them. But storing missiles and adding missile defenses could also be applied to container ships. Their armour is grossly insufficient against any modern weapon. I always laugh when people say her armour is inpenetrable. Just for the fun of it, a modern 120mm gun can peneratre more than 800mm of steel. If I roll a batalion of tanks on a roro ferry and somehow manage to get close to an Iowa, she's in trouble.

I really don't understand why people think a 16" shell cannot be stopped or is somehow superior to a missile. If a missile hits mach three and choses to follow a ballistic trajectory she is a 16" shell; more powerful and heavier. Can chose to go faster. And change course. Can do lots of things. Can be launched from a small frigate. All the things a 16" gun and shell cannot.
FYI - an M1 Abrams would need to be about 2,000 meters away from the Iowa in order to achieve the penetration level you just described. Max range on the M256 is about 4,000 meters. If you got that ferry that close to the Iowa, you might as well just board it! :lol:

While I don't believe anyone in this thread said that the Iowa's armor was impenetrable, it most certainly is better protected (purely from an armor standpoint) than any other warship afloat today. I couldn't begin to tell you if it would stand up to a Harpoon, Shipwreck, or Tomahawk missile, but my instincts tell me it would have a hard time against the latter two. Hence my suggestion that a newer battleship be built, perhaps one that could incorporate something like the DU-enhanced armor on our M1A1 tanks.

As far as shells vs. missiles: most of the missiles I looked up were not capable of reaching the speed of a 16" shell. The Tomahawks are still sub-sonic, while the Shipwreck can reach Mach 1.6. Regardless, there's no denying that missiles are extremely powerful weapons in any conflict, and in many cases are better weapons of choice than shells (better range comes to mind). However, missiles can be fooled, and they can be shot down. Perhaps shells can be shot down(?), but it's kinda hard to fool something that doesn't have a "brain". I'm inclined to think that there must be a place for gun-and-shell technology in today's conventional warfare, especially if that technology could be upgraded from WWII standards. I shudder to think about what a 16" shell with DU-penetrating technology could do! :think:

Oh, and as far as the nuclear cruise-missile argument goes, I believe we're crossing a threshold with that. I don't think there's anything in the world that would be able to survive a low-grade tactical nuke. Forget the fact that there were battleships that remained afloat and somewhat operational during the A-bomb tests at Bikini. Today's nukes are tens, if not hundreds of times more powerful than those A-bombs. Even if the Iowas could survive the blast, most everybody on board would be dead or dying. Yes, one could argue that losing a BB means many more lives than a CG or DD with equivalent missile armaments. Then again, if we're talking a couple hundred kilotons, who's to say the resulting blast doesn't take out more than just one CG or DD? :(

Unless someone has a feasible defense against them, I suggest we leave the nukes out of the equation and deal with "conventional weapons" (whatever that means these days)
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

Perhaps shells can be shot down(?)
Sure, it can detonate and debris isn't very aeodynamic. And as far as the "but you can't stop all 9" argument.... I propose the "you cannot fire a shell at 200 miles" argument. Heck, Roma was destroyed by a few bombs, what makes anyone think an Iowa will do better?
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi Foeth:
I think this has already been discussed in the forum. I don´t believe a Phalanx would destroy a 16" shell. Missiles have engines (rocket or jet), surface controls, and most important, a radar dish behind a plastic radome at the head. All this can be easily damaged by a pair of 20mm shells. But, what kind of damage can a 20mm, 300gr shell, do to a one ton shell, in a ballistic trajectorie, coming down at Mach 2, and with its own explosive charge buried deep in the tail? But anyway, I am with you, the BB is obsolete, its concept is gone, and the ships we are talking about have more than 60 years afloat.
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

If I take a rather large missile, screw of the tip and glue a 16" shell to it, program it to fly a ballistic trajectory, it will do the same or more damage and is by all means just as "indestructible" as the shell. There is no physical difference between the shell and the warhead. The missile may have some sensors on board, but the do not have to be in the tip. Also, a 20mm or 30mm shell with a velocity of mach 3 hitting a shell flying at mach 3 will do tremendous damage. So no, I'm not convinced that the 16" shell is unstopable :D. Anyway, moot point. Any warship STUPID enough to be within gunrange deserves a beating. I just wonder how long the gunship will survive a volley of missiles. Long enough to train the turrets?

Anyway, people arguing for big guns live in the past. Now, catapults are the way to go for modern ships! :cool: