Graf Zeppelin vs HMS Ark Royal and Victorious

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
JtD

Re: Graf Zeppelin vs HMS Ark Royal and Victorious

Post by JtD »

The Fw 190 as a carrier borne fighter is not going to work very well. It has a high wingloading, requiring a high take off and landing speed, too high to successfully take off and land on a carrier. That would have necessiated a major redesign and who knows what would have been left of its performance as we know it. In any case, it would have needed some time.

I think that the RN, USN and IJN would have gotten a lot better performance out of the CV because of operational know how. The Germans would have started from about zero - lagging 20 years behind.
IronDuke

Post by IronDuke »

miro777 wrote:hey

another szenario
a morelike Midway szenario, but in the Atlantic:

the german graf zeppelin against the british ark royal and victorious

i put two ships on the british side because the airplanes of the graf zeppelin were superior (Bf 109 vs Swordfishes)

kk

miro
Firstly it depends when this hypothetical happens. if it is 1941-42 then the British will have Swordfish torpedo bombers, or maybe Albacores, plus Sea Hurricane and Fulmar fighters or maybe even Martlets (FAA version of the Wildcat).

However if it is in 1943-45, the the British will have Barracuda torpedo bombers, maybe Avenger bombers (they were used as bombers in FAA due to difficulty of fitting British torpedos in them) and for fighters anything from Sea Hurricanes through Seafires to even Corsairs (The Fleet Air Arm flew Corsairs from Carriers before the USN did).

Also the JU87 had a reputation as being a 'sitter' for fighters.
Ted
"It only takes two or three years to build a ship but three hundred to build a tradition" Admiral Cunningham RN
RF

Post by RF »

IronDuke wrote:
Firstly it depends when this hypothetical happens. if it is 1941-42 then the British will have Swordfish torpedo bombers, or maybe Albacores, plus Sea Hurricane and Fulmar fighters or maybe even Martlets (FAA version of the Wildcat).

Ted
I think the original premise was an action in the first half of WW2, prior to say Rheinubung.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.