What if no Rheinubung but beowulf in Jun 41

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
srgt rock

What if no Rheinubung but beowulf in Jun 41

Post by srgt rock »

What if? Instead of operation Rheinubung the KM kept the bulk of its forces in the Baltic and staged a repeat of the WW I operation Albion (the invasion of the Baltic islands) on June 22, 1941. The capital ships could have been stationed in the Aaland Sea as they were in September 1941. The light cruisers offering direct support on the landings. The KM followed the initial success by staging landings in Estonia behind the Soviet front lines. Army Group North would start to receive naval resupply as soon as the Baltic islands were under German control.

The KM does not stop until Leningrad has fallen.

Does it work?
How long would it take and with what losses?

Does Moscow fall as a result?
RF

Re: What if no Rheinubung but beowulf in Jun 41

Post by RF »

Overall I don't think it would change anything, especially as the assault on Lenningrad was really a sideshow to the more critical target, Moscow.

Of far greater importance to the Germans failure to take Lenningrad was the failure of the Finns to advance further to the north east of the city and cut off the Lake Ladoga supply route.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
srgt rock

Re: What if no Rheinubung but beowulf in Jun 41

Post by srgt rock »

RF wrote:Overall I don't think it would change anything, especially as the assault on Lenningrad was really a sideshow to the more critical target, Moscow.

Of far greater importance to the Germans failure to take Lenningrad was the failure of the Finns to advance further to the north east of the city and cut off the Lake Ladoga supply route.
Actually, the assault on Lenningrad was on the table at the same time as Hitler ordered Army Group Center to swing south to capture Kiev. In September, Army Group North advanced to and bypassed Lenningrad. Had the Baltic islands been captured in July instead of September due to the strong support of the major KM fleet units, I could easily see the Gulf of Finland islands been either captured or bypassed in September. After the air attacks of late September against the Soviet Baltic Fleet, I think the remaining light Cruisers and the old battleships would have been able to close in on the bay of Krondstad and aid in the capture of Lenningrad by early October. I would guess the German losses would be at least one light cruiser and one of the old battleships along with several smaller units. Army Group North would be resupplied from the sea at the same rate as it was in 1942 and 1943 starting in August of 1941.

I believe the greatest changes to history would come from two areas. First, would be the issue of supplies for the German army units in Russia. With Army Group North receiving most its supplies by sea, Army Group Center gets ALL of the supplies that historically came to both Army Groups. Moscow falls and the Soviet government is in a state of flux but the Germans can not hold it.

The second change would be that by late September or early October, the KM is ready to attempt another break out into the Atlantic with a task force of Bismarck, Tirpitz and Prinz Eugen. Just the threat of these ships would have constrained British offensive operations. The battle of DS would now be fought in October with about the same British fleet units that are better trained and Indomitable just completed as Victorious was in May. I see German break through with one unit damaged enough to need repair but there would still be two ships to attack convoys.