anglo-German alliance 1898

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
19kilo

anglo-German alliance 1898

Post by 19kilo »

What would your opinions be on the state of naval affairs if Joe Chamberlain had succeded in his bid for an Anglo-German alliance in 1898?
RF

Re: anglo-German alliance 1898

Post by RF »

This is difficult to judge because there are so many imponderables.

Does the alliance for example cater for a massive expansion of the German Fleet, which in reality started a year later? Such expansion could break the alliance.

If Wilhelm ii had followed Bismarck's policy of having only a small navy, then Britain and Germany could have got on a lot better than the British did with France and Russia in the Entente Cordiale alliance. France would obviously be the target of any British-German alliance. France in response would need powerful allies, and only the USA could fit that bill.
I did suggest in another thread some time ago that an alternative WW1 could have happened if Britain was allied to Germany and not France. This war I suggested would have hinged on Britain, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Spain, Mexico and Japan lining up against France, Italy, Russia, Serbia and the USA. Such a conflict would have been on a far wider scale than the actual WW1 and more devastating.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.