Twins with 15"

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
paul.mercer

Twins with 15"

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
I understand that there was a scheme to fit both the twins with 15" guns, what would the configuration have been, i.e. 9x15 or 6x15? Either way it seems that they would have been very formidable and probably a match for any of our ships.
Bgile

Re: Twins with 15"

Post by Bgile »

paul.mercer wrote:Gentlemen,
I understand that there was a scheme to fit both the twins with 15" guns, what would the configuration have been, i.e. 9x15 or 6x15? Either way it seems that they would have been very formidable and probably a match for any of our ships.
Six 15". Gneisenau was being modified, including lengthening the bow, when she was wrecked by bombs. Her triple 11" turrets were used in shore batteries.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

The modification would have made the German Scharnhorst-class a "modern counterpart" to the British Renown-class i.e. similar armament and configuration but slightly better speed and quite better armor.

The conversion - or scheme - would be optional designs drawn from the table at a time when the Anglo-German Fleet Treaty was in progress. Those prints represented ideas; nothing definite, and though the navy might have wanted larger guns for this class the extra time required to build the 15" gun did not permit for their conversion without causing further delay down the line. In short: if a conversion was to be made it would have to be made after the Bismarck class had been built.

The decision to convert one of the ships - the Gneisenau - came about as the result of her being lost as an operational unit thus one might assume those upgrade plans came in effect by accident - not by choice. This lead me to the conclusion that no conversion was ever actually intended while at war (being operational) nor could it be made pre-war without seriously disrupting the continuity in German fleet plans.

As for being a formidable ship the German navy still was the underdog at sea. And I do have doubts as to whether she could deliver anything significant beyond what she actually accomplished, despite greater guns. After the Channel Dash and loss of initiative the surface navy were reduced to mere deterrents. Gun size matter not...

I suspect she will perform better in a one-on-one hypothetical scenario rather than in the true theatre of war.