Scharnhorst and Gneisenau vs. R or Queen Elizabeth class

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
turlock

Post by turlock »

If memory serves me correctly, during the course of Operation Berlin, Salmon and Gluckstien, which you folks seem to call "the twins", encountered Malaya and Ramillies on seperate occasions. Both times Lutjens obeyed his standing order to avoid action with Capital ships and sped off.
Assume then that there was no such order, or that the Fleet Commander, whether Lutjens, or my own favorite Marschall chose to engage anyway. Both Malaya and Ramillies would have been limited to about 26,000 yard range by their 20 degree elevation, but pardon me if my memory errs. Use whichever member of these classes you want and assume clear weather.
Myself, I'd haul off and use my superior speed and gunnery range to hammer the opponent. German 11's and 12's did a great deal of damage to the Queens at Jutland, and the SKC/34 was better than either of the Great War guns. Jutland proved that the Queens were not immune to 11 inch projectiles.
What do you think?
Javier L.

Post by Javier L. »

2 against 1.
Victory goes to the Germans in my opinion.
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau vs. the Queen Elisabeth would be 18 x 11" guns against 8 x 15" guns and the Germans have a much higher rate of fire.

After an hour firing shells at each other my result is:

Queen Elisabeth sunk.
Scharnhorst heavily damaged.
Gneisenau lightly damaged.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

I forget which occasion it was, but one of the Twins once danced around just outside of 15in range in hopes of luring the old battleship away from its convoy. I believe the skipper got booted for this act. In any case, I have always wondered why the Germans did not open fire. The range was no farther than the first hit on Glorious. When you have a free shot, why not take it?
turlock

Post by turlock »

Tiornu, that would have been Kurt Caesar Hoffmann of Scharnhorst, who earned the rebuke from Lutjens. Hoffmann is another favorite of mine.