Bismarck and Prince Eugen replaced by...

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
JtD

Re: Bismarck and Prince Eugen replaced by...

Post by JtD »

It's in the logs at the time of the Bismarck chase. This is the highest speed I know of that was recorded on a KGV-class BB. The trials showed the following results:
KGV: 28.0kn
PoW: 28.0kn
DoY: 28.3kn
Anson: 27.62kn
Howe: 27.5kn
So DoY exceeded 28kn on trials, but the average for the class was about 28kn.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

It's in the logs at the time of the Bismarck chase. This is the highest speed I know of that was recorded on a KGV-class BB. The trials showed the following results:
KGV: 28.0kn
PoW: 28.0kn
DoY: 28.3kn
Anson: 27.62kn
Howe: 27.5kn
So DoY exceeded 28kn on trials, but the average for the class was about 28kn
However, these speeds were achieved with an average of ~112000 SHP, but RN ships were typically engineered to withstand overload powers much greater than are produced during trials. This is from Allied BBs:

PoW, prior to intercepting Bismarck, "...steamed at overloads of 128000 to 134000 SHP with no difficulties...(D&G page191)"

These are from PoW's log on 24 May 1941:
0500- Log: 295.2; Distance Run through the Water: 28 miles and 8 tenths; True Course: 240; Mean Revolutions per minute: 235.8 .
0600- Log: No readings taken following action; Distance Run through the Water: 29 miles and 1 tenth; True Course: Var (various); Mean Revolutions per Minute: 239.
0700 listing is 28 miles and 4 tenths at 231.8 revolutions.

So we have G&D providing SHP data and then PoW's log entries, and it all adds up Holland pushing both Hood and PoW to over 29 knots during their run to intercept Lutjens.
JtD

Post by JtD »

I meant to point out the differences in the class as well as showing that more than 28kn were already achieved during the trials. I also think that the 28kn often mentioned for the class are a reasonable average, given the differences between the ships, their increasing displacement with the progression of the war and the varying conditions of the hull. I mentioned that the PoW did 29kn, but this imho is hardly representative for the entire class. I should have separated the statements by a paragraph. All in all I just wanted to give BlackBirdZGTR a bit better impression on the performance of the KGV class BB's.