Hipper vs. Graf Spee

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
tommy303

Re: Hipper vs. Graf Spee

Post by tommy303 »

You're right! Don't know what I was thinking. :oops:

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

tommy303 wrote:You're right! Don't know what I was thinking. :oops:
Yes, but your general premise was correct.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Tommy raised a valid point.
Langsdorff believed he was up against Exeter and a pair of Destroyers.

I'm certain he would have been less than enthusiastic about engaging a County and 2 Towns.
AGS was a powerful ship for her size, but not that powerful
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
lwd

Post by lwd »

They were id'd correctly pretty quickly and in any case what options does he have? He can't outrun the British cruisers.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Indications are that Graf Spee spotted Harwood some time before the British spotted the smoke from AGS as she ran her diesels up to full speed to close the range. For a barest amount of time, Graf Spee held the initiative and could have turned away and slipped off unnoticed. Later in the morning, an air search by Harwoods spotting planes may have found her, but that is another scenario.

RF

Post by RF »

Gary wrote:Tommy raised a valid point.
Langsdorff believed he was up against Exeter and a pair of Destroyers.

I'm certain he would have been less than enthusiastic about engaging a County and 2 Towns.
AGS was a powerful ship for her size, but not that powerful
According to Rasenack, Langsdorf initially identified a light cruiser and two destroyers - namely nothing above 6 inch gun calibre. If he had identified Exeter right away, namely a ship sporting 8 inch calibre, I suspect he may not have rushed in to engage. Rasenack specifically records that the second in command, Kapitan Kay, reminded Langsdorf of their orders with regard to engaging enemy warships in distant waters, at the point the decision to engage the ''light cruiser and two destroyers'' was made by Langsdorf..
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

tommy303,

If its Cumberland, Belfast and Sheffield then I think we ought to upgrade AGS to Scharnhorst.....
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF wrote:tommy303,

If its Cumberland, Belfast and Sheffield then I think we ought to upgrade AGS to Scharnhorst.....
IMO if you did that you might as well upgrade AGS to Bismarck. As far as three cruisers are concerned, it wouldn't make a lot of difference and they would all be sunk or run away. Actually Scharnhorst might be worse than Bismarck because she was faster and her shells are still devastating (as AGS shells are as well) but her armor can't be penetrated by the British. AGS's armor can be penetrated by 8", which is why the CA gets hit first and we are back at River Platt.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

I agree with Bgile, a Scharnhorst class battleship would be a very dangerous opponent even for two Town Class cruisers and a County class in daylight and in good weather. Her guns were more powerful than the 28cm of the AGS, ranging farther at higher velocities and with a much more effective AP and base fuzed HE shell, and a high enough speed to be able to hold the enemy at arms length--well within her own guns' effective zone but outside of the enemy's. Three turrets would also allow her to split her fire a bit more effectively than AGS was able to--two turrets could concentrate on the County and the other could keep the Towns at a distance.

Two Towns and a County class cruiser would be much more than AGS could handle, but if Langsdorff commanded Gneisenau or Scharnhorst, it would be a whole new ball game.

Gary

Post by Gary »

If Langsdorff had had Scharnhorst then I think the Admiralty would have had to dispatch Hood To the South Atlantic.
I dont know the Royal navies Aircraft carrier position in late 1939 off hand but another carrier would be needed to join the hunt (Where were Hermes and Eagle at that time?)
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Gary wrote:If Langsdorff had had Scharnhorst then I think the Admiralty would have had to dispatch Hood To the South Atlantic.
I dont know the Royal navies Aircraft carrier position in late 1939 off hand but another carrier would be needed to join the hunt (Where were Hermes and Eagle at that time?)
Scharnhorst really doesn't have the range to operate in the South Atlantic. We were just throwing around combat ideas.
RF

Post by RF »

Bgile wrote:
Gary wrote:
Scharnhorst really doesn't have the range to operate in the South Atlantic. We were just throwing around combat ideas.
For 1939/40 the German supply ship operation could have facilitated such an operation without too much risk to the Germans.
RF

Post by RF »

Gary wrote:If Langsdorff had had Scharnhorst then I think the Admiralty would have had to dispatch Hood To the South Atlantic.
Or Renown or Repulse.....

Ark Royal was present in the South Atlantic in 1939. Her planes intercepted Altmark, which successfully passed herself off as the American ship Delmar...