BRITISH AA OF WW2

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
RF

Re: BRITISH AA OF WW2

Post by RF »

johnalbion wrote: What I find amazing is after 2 years of war and suffering horrendous losses from air attack that RN warships were still so lightly armed with AA weapons.
An interesting point. However Britain didn't have the armaments production capabilities of the US and even in 1941 there was still a shortage of weapons.

I might add that the 5.25 inch guns on the KGV class were dual purpose but not effective in protecting the POW from Jap torpedo bombers.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

... Prince of Wales also carried 4 octuple 40mm Bofors (32 guns), besides the 16 x 133mm guns.

Her total AA output was about 1/4 or 1/5th of a late war Iowa class or South Dakota class battleship.
Tom17

Post by Tom17 »

... Prince of Wales also carried 4 octuple 40mm Bofors (32 guns)

No she didn't.

POW had 2pdr Pom-Pom http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_2pounder_m8.htm not Bofors http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.htm

Although the same caliber (40mm) they were not as long ranged, had a lower muzzle velocity, no tracer round, and, (POW at least) had issues with ammunition.

She did have a single Bofors (army pattern) mounted on 'B' turret I believe.

Tom
johnalbion

Post by johnalbion »

Yes the 5.25 was theoretically a DP weapon but it simply was not effective. The shells were heavy and lifting them wore the crew out quicker, Turrets cramped and over complicated and rate of fire was low. the 2pdr was never adequate and only adopted in order to use left over ammunition from WW.I, yes it was improved as time went on but never adequate. Heavy, complicated, low muzzle velocity (high muzzle velocity is a must in AAA) the worst possible choice from what was available. The moment the 40mm quads and twins a used by the USN was available for production it should have been produced as it also was very uncomplicated and easy to produce, easy to operate and maintain, easy to train crews how to use, very much more so then the 2pdr. It is always the same sad story of politicians and government twits sending great young men into battle with out the right tools to get the job done with the least amount of casualties.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Tom17 wrote:... Prince of Wales also carried 4 octuple 40mm Bofors (32 guns)

No she didn't.

POW had 2pdr Pom-Pom http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_2pounder_m8.htm not Bofors http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.htm

Although the same caliber (40mm) they were not as long ranged, had a lower muzzle velocity, no tracer round, and, (POW at least) had issues with ammunition.

She did have a single Bofors (army pattern) mounted on 'B' turret I believe.

Tom
Indeed.
However, effective range for both was ~ 4km. Rate of fire was also similar.

Probably 2 of the IJN planes were gunned down by Prince of Wales 40mm guns (2 more were destroyed by the Repulse). At least 3 more crash landed on their way back and were total losses.
johnalbion

Post by johnalbion »

/quote]An interesting point. However Britain didn't have the armaments production capabilities of the US and even in 1941 there was still a shortage of weapons

I agree to a point. I find it incomprehensible that such an important vessel as Repulse in Dec 1941 was still armed with such a mixed bag of 4" guns especially still carrying those triple 4" mounts. Every one of those 4" mounts should have been replaced by the twin mk XIX's and ore 2pdr's by that late date. Before being sent east Lets not even mention the AA capability of the Destroyers that were with her. Almost 0. Just think what 4 fletcher class type DD's could have provided in AA defence on that day.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

... The Repulse had 3 octuple 2prd, total 24 x 40mm guns...
Tom17

Post by Tom17 »

Johnalbion,
I'm inclined to believe the 'left over ammunition from WW1' story is false.
I direct your attention to this thread on another board which makes sense to me.
http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.c ... ply-302803

Post 132 by ChrisPat

Tom
RF

Post by RF »

johnalbion wrote:Yes the 5.25 was theoretically a DP weapon but it simply was not effective. The shells were heavy and lifting them wore the crew out quicker, Turrets cramped and over complicated and rate of fire was low.
This presumably would also be the case against surface targets, such as Bismarck in the DS battle, and KGV three days later.

However I haven't seen any criticism of the performance of either ships 5.25 inch in either engagement.....
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

RF wrote:
johnalbion wrote:Yes the 5.25 was theoretically a DP weapon but it simply was not effective. The shells were heavy and lifting them wore the crew out quicker, Turrets cramped and over complicated and rate of fire was low.
This presumably would also be the case against surface targets, such as Bismarck in the DS battle, and KGV three days later.

However I haven't seen any criticism of the performance of either ships 5.25 inch in either engagement.....
... Secondary batteries were of little importance in battleship combat. Similarly, Duke of York's action against Scharnhrost had no important events linked to her 16 x 133mm guns.
THis was the case with all secondary batteries in service in all battleships of the war...
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

johnalbion wrote:
These problems rapidly made themselves felt in the loss of Force Z[1], and the Battle of Crete[citation needed].
Here we have a statement without foundation. It certainly wouldn't have hurt PoW to have carried a better AA gun, but whether or not it made a difference in that particular engagement is entirely a matter of speculation.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Had the ships at Crete and Force Z had every available bit of deck space paked with quad 40mm and 20 mm like most American ships were near the end of the war I believe it would have made a huge difference especially against the low flying Beatty bombers. Just look at the photo's of Japanese aircraft trying to fly through the wall of flak in 44. It is a terrible shame the RN did not put its pride aside an adopted the 5"/38 which was available to them for production in the UK. I was a 5/38 gun mount captain and tech and can tell you it was an outstanding weapon in every way. What I find amazing is after 2 years of war and suffering horrendous losses from air attack that RN warships were still so lightly armed with AA weapons.
RN ships in 1941 carried much heavier AA than any other navy including the USN. The RN had no qualms about using the 5in/38 but the USA could not produce enough for themselves, and the production facilities didn't exist to build them in the UK. The 5in/38 was a good weapon but only marginally better than the 4.7in as a surface weapon or the the RN 4.5in as an AA weapon but the RN 5.25in was a much longer ranged weapon with far superior ballistics.

The RN suffered because the British Army and RAF had priority for AA weapons and fighter planes after Dunkirk, with the Luftwaffe parked just across the channel.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:
RF wrote:

... Secondary batteries were of little importance in battleship combat. Similarly, Duke of York's action against Scharnhrost had no important events linked to her 16 x 133mm guns.
THis was the case with all secondary batteries in service in all battleships of the war...
DoY's 5.25in guns were an important factor in providing starshell illumination of Scharnhorst.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

johnalbion wrote:Yes the 5.25 was theoretically a DP weapon but it simply was not effective. The shells were heavy and lifting them wore the crew out quicker, Turrets cramped and over complicated and rate of fire was low. the 2pdr was never adequate and only adopted in order to use left over ammunition from WW.I, yes it was improved as time went on but never adequate. Heavy, complicated, low muzzle velocity (high muzzle velocity is a must in AAA) the worst possible choice from what was available. The moment the 40mm quads and twins a used by the USN was available for production it should have been produced as it also was very uncomplicated and easy to produce, easy to operate and maintain, easy to train crews how to use, very much more so then the 2pdr. It is always the same sad story of politicians and government twits sending great young men into battle with out the right tools to get the job done with the least amount of casualties.
The 5.25in was an effective DP weapon that PoW used to shoot down Italian TBs in Sept 1941, and she managed to damage 10 of the 16 high level bombers, two seriously, that attacked Force Z. According to Lundstrom the USN did't do any better at Coral Sea, Midway or Eastern Solomons than Force Z, despite the much larger number of AA capable ships (the RN DDs in Force Z had no AA FC systems).

The 40mm bofors twin and quad mount wasn't available to the USN until late in 1942 (first use at Santa Cruz on 26 Oct 1942) and even the 20mm Oerlikon was scarce until after Midway. A 40mm quad, with ready use ammo, weighed about the same as an octuple pom-pom and with equal FC had about the same overall effectiveness. The octuple pom-pom carried almost 1.5 tons of ammo on mount and could fire for almost 80 seconds without reloading, so it's effective RoF was higher than a bofors, barrel for barrel, even though nominally the bofors had a higher RoF. Since both the bofors and pom-pom had SD ammo, their effective ranges were very similar - ~3500 yds.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

dunmunro wrote:The 5.25in was an effective DP weapon that PoW used to shoot down Italian TBs in Sept 1941, and she managed to damage 10 of the 16 high level bombers, two seriously, that attacked Force Z. According to Lundstrom the USN did't do any better at Coral Sea, Midway or Eastern Solomons than Force Z, despite the much larger number of AA capable ships (the RN DDs in Force Z had no AA FC systems).
... At Eastern Solomons (Aug 1942), the IJN lost 60 planes in combat , out of which at least 15-20 destroyed by AA gunfire. The AA gunfire was s dense that at least 5 US fighters were also destroyed in the barrage.
"The North Carolina fired 841 rounds of 5-inch (127 mm) (38 caliber) shells, 1037 rounds of 1.1-inch ammunition, 7425 rounds of 20-mm shells, and 8641 rounds of .50 caliber machine gun bullets during the attack" [total AA guns of North Carolina in Aug 1942: 20x127mm, 24x28mm, 40x20mm Oerlikon, 12x12.7mm ]

===

By the way, do you know how many AA guns were actualy fitted to Prince of Wales ? I came across multiple variants... And I don't know which is the correct one.
From G&D it would appear she carried 7 x octuple 2pdr, 8 x single 20mm Oerlikon, 1 x single 40mm Bofors, and of course the 8x2 5.25" guns... Other sources mention 5 x octuple 2pdr, 4 x quad 0.5" Vickers MGs and the rest stays the same.
RF

Post by RF »

alecsandros wrote: [... Secondary batteries were of little importance in battleship combat. Similarly, Duke of York's action against Scharnhrost had no important events linked to her 16 x 133mm guns.
This does need to be qualified - otherwise why have secondary batteries? Apart from engaging small torpedo carrying vessels like destroyers or cruisers (which frequently can be dealt with at longer ranges by the main armament) secondary batteries do have some attributes in battleship combat at close range. They should have a much faster rate of fire than the heavy guns and can degrade by direct hit those unprotected areas outside the main armoured belt, the same argument as used for supporting cruiser fire in battleship combat. Their faster rate of fire combined with the main armament fire can also impede rangefinders and fire control because the exposed personnel have to keep their heads down and also create an impression of constant fire which degrades over a sustained period of time. One example is the KGV/Rodney engagement of Bismarck.
With respect to Bismarck it should be noted that Lutjens ordered POW to be engaged by the 5.9's while the 15 inch fired on Hood. Logically the less well armoured Hood should be a better target for these guns yet Lutjens considered that they were good enough to make an impression on a KGV...