Dunkerque V Kongo

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Gary

Dunkerque V Kongo

Post by Gary »

How do these 2 match up?

They seem pretty even in most aspects.
Which one is your money on?

Merry Christmas.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
lwd

Re: Dunkerque V Kongo

Post by lwd »

Weren't the Kongo's extensivly modernized at one point? I assume you are talking about them in their WWII configuration. I'm far from an expert in regards to either of these ships but the French gun had some pretty impressive stats. I'm not sure about it dispersion. Just looking at the main armament the French gun has a burster of ~20 kg vs 11kg for the Japanese gun But the latter out weights the former 560kg to 673kg (all this from navweapons site). Teh Japanese are also credited with 2rpms vs 1.5-2 for the French. Not sure how important that is. Defintily range dependent however. The French round is traveling a lot faster at all ranges at 10,000 meters its 689m/s to 576m/s for instance. This should be to the French advantage in a close fight as far as hitting and penetrating goes. The French ship is also newer and may have better armor and/or a better armor scheme.

My first guess is advantage France in this contest.
WestPhilly

Post by WestPhilly »

I'm thinking the more modern - with particular regard to damage control - and more powerfully armed Dunkerque prevails in this contest. Her better protected sister-ship, Strasburg for sure.
RF

Post by RF »

Was the Dunkerque deployed to the Far East after the German surrender? I know that Richelieu was used in the bombardment of the Japanese coastline.

Such an action as proposed here would be interesting, I think a lot would hinge on the quality of the French gunnery, and my money, subject to that caveat, would be on the French.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

No. Sadly, it's hard to deploy a ship that refuses to float.
Gary

Post by Gary »

27 November 1942. She was scuttled, along with Strasbourg, in the scuttling of the French fleet in Toulon. Her commanding officer, Capitaine de vaisseau Amiel, initially refused to sink his ship without written orders, but was finally convinced to do so by the captain of the nearby light cruiser La Galissonnière. Demolition charges were ignited, destroying the ship and setting the wreckage ablaze.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
irving1941

Post by irving1941 »

Kongo all the way. last time the french did something on land was before Waterloo and on sea was.... never! If you want a real fight put Kongo vs english, american or american vessels.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Ok, so how about Kongo V SoDak?

That would be a real fight..................for the Japanese.
SoDak would bloody well murder Kongo.

As for Britain, the only ships catching Kongo would be Renown or a KGV.
Kongo may prevail against Renown but I dont fancy her chances against a KGV!

:whistle:
lwd

Post by lwd »

Kongo vs Hood might be an interesting one but we are getting off topic.
irving1941 wrote:... last time the french did something on land was before Waterloo and on sea was.... never! ....
This is both inaccurate and lacking in clarity.
irving1941

Post by irving1941 »

Kongo vs Hood might be an interesting one but we are getting off topic.
irving1941 wrote:... last time the french did something on land was before Waterloo and on sea was.... never! ....
This is both inaccurate and lacking in clarity.
Maybe I´m missing something here and I need to apologyse: are you, lwd, this forum´s administrator or global moderator? Because if that´s the case then I will be more carefull when addressing such an eminence as you think you are. If not, please restrain yourself of breaking down my posts, mister! In this world I can still have my opinion. If you share it, good, if not please expose yours but don´t come breaking my own.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Cool it dude, he does it to everyone. Plus atleast half the stuff he says is correct, so you would be wise to listen to him. He has also been here longer so if a fight gets started he is likely to win due to being friends with the only admin here. He knows how the system works and plays by the rules, so don't say anything unless you aren't afraid to have it dissected by the debaters. Yeah he could have put more detail into his reply but it's a free forum, no need to get your guns out...

I personally think, from what little I know about the two ships, that Dunkerque would probably come out victorious. She had better and more modern armor, and she had newer radar. I think they were on equal terms in speed, so no advantage there... The only advantage I think Kongo might have is being able to sneak behind Dunkerque and send some shells into her stern without return fire, but I doubt the French commander would allow that to happen...
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
irving1941

Post by irving1941 »

Cool it dude, he does it to everyone. Plus atleast half the stuff he says is correct, so you would be wise to listen to him. He has also been here longer so if a fight gets started he is likely to win due to being friends with the only admin here. He knows how the system works and plays by the rules, so don't say anything unless you aren't afraid to have it dissected by the debaters. Yeah he could have put more detail into his reply but it's a free forum, no need to get your guns out...
I can cool down when people shows respect. that´s all. And if he does that to you and you doesn´t midn then it´s your problem because, as you say, half he says is correct, half. What aboput the other half? Can I afford to have my opinion? I have been reading about battleships for some 15 years now. I think I know also what I´m talking about.
That´s what happens when a single guy or group of guys hijack a complete forum to reafirm their positions.
And what means "how the system works and play by the rules" It´s sound too much Orwell here! I know the forum rules: I´m entitled of an opinion and cvan post about it. If he has a different opinion then let him post it but not break my post in order to dissect it piece meal render it´s part worthless because they work in a context. That´s it.