US WWII Battleship catapults

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
jeffy_ssd

Post by jeffy_ssd »

I have been trying to find information and photos/information on US WWII Battleship catapults without much luck. I am unable to find any surviving examples (the one on the USS Alabama is from a cruiser) and precious little information. Anyone know of a survivor or a data source? Thanks in advance
jeffy_ssd

Post by jeffy_ssd »

I have been trying to find information on US WWII Battleship catapults without luck. Of particular interest is construction and mechanics as well as locating any surviving examples if any still exist. BB60 has a cat but it is off of a cruiser and not correct in size, length or configuration for a BB. Any help would be appreciated
Steve Crandell

Re: US WWII Battleship catapults

Post by Steve Crandell »

It's possible that one or more of the battleship memorials has one. I don't recall whether North Carolina does, but she might.
Rick Rather

Post by Rick Rather »

There was a thread about battleship catapult procedures a couple of years ago. Someone posted a link to detailed instructions for operating one type of catapult.

:cool:
Just because it's stupid, futile and doomed to failure, that doesn't mean some officer won't try it.
-- R. Rather
jeffy_ssd

Post by jeffy_ssd »

No cats on the North Carolina
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

jeffy_ssd wrote:No cats on the North Carolina
rats ... sorry about that :(