Big mast´s clock

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

Big mast´s clock

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I saw in a lot of pictures a "clock" pending from the top of the American Battleships. I believe I saw it on the Arizona´s.
Years ago, in this same forum, someone explained to me that it was a comunication device to tell the ships tailing the leader where to go and who to shoot at in the middle of the smoke and caos of a battle.
But, after some exams to other photos, this "clock" doesn´t appear on other fleet´s masts. Only Americans used this device?
How it really worked? :think:
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I understand that the clock shows the range to the enemy in thousands of yards plus 10000. If the clock shows 5 means 5000 yards plus 10000= 15000 yards.
ostriker

Re: Big mast´s clock

Post by ostriker »

Karl Heidenreich wrote: But, after some exams to other photos, this "clock" doesn´t appear on other fleet´s masts. Only Americans used this device?
How it really worked? :think:
It is a good question. I never see any explanations before!

For the other navies, french used it im sure, i think the italian too :?: :think:
, but it doesnt still appaear on pictures...

Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Karl.

The clock is also clearly visible on the "Old Cowboy" USS Texas

God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

The clock is supposed to be used only in fleet fire, where the range can be seen from other ships as a crosscheck.
Karl Heidenreich

Hi!

There is something here, about this clock. In the photos that I had seen before the clock is always facing back, to the stern. But in these photos, of the French and American BBs, they´re facing front, to the bow.

Marcelo says that the clock was meant for cross check during fleet fire, so it´s logical that the flagship was the one signalling the others where to fire. If the flagship is at the head of the column, then the clock must be facing stern to signal all the ships that are following (or at least the one behind that will signal in turn to the one following it). Then, why having one facing to the bow, wasn´t there something to confuse things a little bit more during a fire exchange?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

I believe there was one on each mast, so one faced forward, one to the rear.

This is a relic of the old "ships in a battleline" world. Don't know how well it worked - I guess it couldn't hurt to be able to see what range the fellow ahead of you or behind you was firing on.

Derf
ufo
Supporter

Post by ufo »

An all time classic that question :D

Bob Henneman has a fine article on that topic on his pages:
http://www.bobhenneman.info/Rangeclocks.htm

As addons to the article:
- Battleships of the Imperial Highseas Fleet used them as well. I think there is a picture of SMS Kaiser often seen in the net with a clock in her mast. Well ilustrated books on Imperial German Battleships show much more examples.

- At the onset of WWII they were still quite common in French ships. The sad pictures of the Fleet at Toulon show many a cruiser with a clock still in place.

Ciao,
Ufo
Karl Heidenreich

Hey guys!

Great information about the clock. I always wondered about that... thing!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill