Question for Bill Jurens on his South dakota pic

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
petsan

Question for Bill Jurens on his South dakota pic

Post by petsan »

I found this picture (actually in two parts) somewhere here on KBismark, dont remember where,

Was wondering if anyone knows what book this came from (I thought i had them all,,, wrong) the picture is blurry and I would like to get a better (sharper image) of this it is very very interesting because it shows the actual placing and thickness of South Dakota heavy armor individual plates...(and by relations an Iowa)..
the only hint is the writer W.Jurens.....

If Bill reads this ..... I would like to buy or find out where I can get a better resolution picture
Thanks in advance

Pete

Bill Jurens

Re: Question for Bill Jurens on his South dakota pic

Post by Bill Jurens »

This drawing is one of a series I did in suport of Strafford Morss' articles in Warship International magazine a few years ago. Part I of "The Washington Naval Treaty and the Armor and Protective Plating of USS Massachusetts" was published in Warship International No 3, 2006 on pages 273-309. Part II was published in Warship International No. 4, 2006 on pages 395-435. I believe that both of these papers can be ordered as 'back issues' from the INRO archives. Check on the INRO website. I suggest you purchase copies if you are interested in this subject, as the drawing you posted above is only one of many in the articles.

Bill Jurens.
petsan

Re: Question for Bill Jurens on his South dakota pic

Post by petsan »

Thanks Bill,... will do

Nice work by the way
Pete