Heavy Warship Missile Conversions

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Legend

Heavy Warship Missile Conversions

Post by Legend »

I just feel very intriuged by this subject and would like to open a thread about it. The fact that USS Hawaii almost was converted saddens me very much... considering she was already so far into her construction. Same for BB-66, USS Kentucky, which ended up being scrapped for parts for fast oilers.

Another Idea that crossed my mind is that the French Battleship Jean Bart would have been a prime canidate for missiles, considering that ALL of her main armament was forward of her superstructure, leaving a very spacious stern. I can just see a Cold War version with a secondary battery of Oto Meleras and some form of the mk13 or mk26 on the stern.
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
marcelo_malara

Re: Heavy Warship Missile Conversions

Post by marcelo_malara »

Another Idea that crossed my mind is that the French Battleship Jean Bart would have been a prime canidate for missiles
According to Duma´s French BBs, it was thought, but the idea discarded. The Jean Bart was considered obsolete and given training mission, I think that no money was thought justified of spending on her.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

The Stalin class BB's under construction in Russia in the late 40's & early 50's were to be converted as well. The vessels were stopped and later scrapped after Stalin's death. Though one hull was used to test anti-ship missiles.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
RF

Post by RF »

As a missile carrier it is surely better to have a purpose built ship - converted heavy warships generally continued in their original role?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Converted ships would gain the ability to defend themselves more effectively against aerial and submerged targets.
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Legend wrote:I just feel very intriuged by this subject and would like to open a thread about it.
alrighty...
Another Idea that crossed my mind is that the French Battleship Jean Bart would have been a prime canidate for missiles, considering that ALL of her main armament was forward of her superstructure, leaving a very spacious stern. I can just see a Cold War version with a secondary battery of Oto Meleras and some form of the mk13 or mk26 on the stern.
I don't think those were around when Jean Bart was still afloat - and France would have had to buy the gear from abroad.

There was the Boston & Canberra, and then the Albany-class ships with Talos & Tarter.
Shift Colors... underway.