A new type of armour plating.....

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Bgile

Re: A new type of armour plating.....

Post by Bgile »

Legend wrote:Hmmm... Can't find one. I'm thinking I saw it on a program with footage maybe. I remember the armored skirt and squarish plating on the front. I believe this is the next generation striker of the future though...
I'm thinking that is a current version of the Striker, the 105mm gun version.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

lwd wrote:
I suspect in part because it's part of the TUSK package for the M1A2. If you do a search on "M1 TUSK" you may turn up some info. One of the links I posted above has some data on it don't remember if it's got a picture or not.
Yes, that makes sense. I know the skirts on the existing tank are vulnerable to the latest rpgs. No mbt is really ideal for urban use because of the long barrel. I think we really need an urban support vehicle with a short 155mm gun.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Well. The new Striker looks like a real tool for the military. With the autoloader it's probably much faster... and possibly more accurate. Not to mention it goes faster than the Abrams (If I remember correctly) and can carry about eight troops... Talk about more bang for the buck...
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
lwd

Post by lwd »

It's also quite a bit more vulnerable and significantly worse mobility wise in some areas. There is no free cake. On the other hand if you are going to be engaging in urban combat a "tank" with a breach loading 120mm mortar for it's main armament might make sense.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Some areas, but considering it's going to roads in urban areas, the wheeled Striker is definitely a better option than damaging tank treads... though I haven't heard much about the Abrams having that problem...
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Legend wrote:Well. The new Striker looks like a real tool for the military. With the autoloader it's probably much faster... and possibly more accurate. Not to mention it goes faster than the Abrams (If I remember correctly) and can carry about eight troops... Talk about more bang for the buck...
I don't think you understand. The Striker you have pictured is not the "new" striker. It is one of a number of versions of the Striker, and that one probably doesn't carry ANY toops except for it's crew because of the gun. The infantry carrier version usually has a 50 cal mg. It is much cheaper to operate than a tank, and the tires do save a lot of maintenance cost on tracks and roads. lwd is right about off road mobility, though. An M60 can outrun an M113 in rough terrain, for example, let alone a wheeled vehicle. A Bradley can probably keep up with an M1 off road.

If you have roads, its better to use wheeled vehicles if you can because of noise and wear on tracked vehicles and roads. You just can't leave the roads and operate as effectively as a fully tracked vehicle.