Real armour penetration

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

Real armour penetration

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

A lot has been said about which gun could penetrate some or other armour using some nice formulas, but... in reality, actual event: which had been the results of high caliber guns fired upon real armour in real combat: Schanhorst, Warspite, Bismarck, PoW, which?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

A rhetorical question?

You left out USS South Dakota and Jean Bart as well as a number of French and (I think) Italian battleships.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Karl.

Off the Top of my head, I guess HMS Warspite must have inflicted quite a wallop on more than one of the Highs sea's fleet ships at Jutland.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Gary wrote:Hi Karl.

Off the Top of my head, I guess HMS Warspite must have inflicted quite a wallop on more than one of the Highs sea's fleet ships at Jutland.
The potential was there, but British shells didn't perform very well in that conflict.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Bgile,

I mean about any factual proof, from whichever it came. No formulas.

Kind regards
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I only know of a few cases.

South Dakota was hit repeatedly by Japanese shells at Guadalcanal. One 14" shell detonated on impact with turret 3 barbette, blowing a 3' x 10' hole in the deck area and gouging two gun sleeves. The turret was not put out of action. One 8" shell penetrated approx 8" into the main belt armor. We know the range was about 8 to 10 kyds in this engagement. There was a lot of damage and crew casualties in unarmored areas.

In the above engagement we know Hiei was wrecked by multiple 5" and 16" shell hits, but we don't have any details to speak of.

One of Bismarck's survivors reported light streaming though holes in Bismarck's armored conning tower when he was there for a time during the final battle.

Witnesses reported a shell penetrating the front of one of Bismarck's forward turrets and blowing the back plate of the turret overboard. Study of the wreck shows a penetration of "C" turret barbette. One of Rodney's shells hit Bismarcks forecastle and put at least one forward turret out of action. That isn't too surprising since the ends of her citadel weren't all that well protected, similar to many other battleships.

Survivors reported shells exploding in a couple of her engineering spaces, and many shells exploding in the area above her lower armored deck.

We know one of PoW's shells put one of Bismarck's boiler rooms and a turbo generator room out of action.

The heavy cruiser USS San Francisco was hit repeatedly by 14" and smaller shells at the first battle of Guadalcanal, but the Japanese were using bombardment ammunition and her more heavily armored areas weren't penetrated. There were a lot of casualties among exposed crew, but the main armament remained in action and the ship continued to fight.

Unfortunately, most ships with heavy shell penetrations didn't survive to be studied. I'm sure there are others I've left out.
dunmunro

Re: Real armour penetration

Post by dunmunro »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:A lot has been said about which gun could penetrate some or other armour using some nice formulas, but... in reality, actual event: which had been the results of high caliber guns fired upon real armour in real combat: Schanhorst, Warspite, Bismarck, PoW, which?
IIRC, from reading Campbell, the maximum armour penetrated by the RN at Jutland was 12" and for the HSF, it was 9". Unfortunately in WW2, any BB/BC that probably suffered a penetration of vertical armour was also sunk.
Gary

Post by Gary »

SoDak was only hit with HE Shells at Guadalcanal.

Didnt Hood put a shell through the roof of one of Bretagne's turrets?
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

SoDak was hit by a few 8in AP shells, and it appears the signle 14in hit was AP as well.
Hood got into Bretagne's vitals.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Did the 16" round that ended up in Jean Barts (fortunatly empty) secondary magazine go high order? Didn't at least one other round get into what would have been vital areas had she been at sea?
ostriker

Post by ostriker »

lwd wrote:Did the 16" round that ended up in Jean Barts (fortunatly empty) secondary magazine go high order? Didn't at least one other round get into what would have been vital areas had she been at sea?
Of the five shells that hit Jean Bart, two, perhaps three, failed to explode. The two that exploded hit in the "nothing" sections of an "all or nothing" designed battleship. These two wrecked large parts of the ship, but parts that contained no vital equipment
Lutscha

Post by Lutscha »

One shell penetrated into JB`s secondary magazines. The correct range is still unknown but maybe I get some info about that as well as on French armour quality in the near future.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

One shell penetrated the armored deck and exploded normally in an empty ammo space. One shell penetrated the protective deck over the steering gear and exploded, sending splinters out through the ship's bottom. One shell hit the edge of a barbette, had its base broken (probably due to base slap), continued to the armor deck and still managed to put a 4in dent in the 6in plating, and rattled is way quite a distance through the hull. One glanced off the side armor of the turret, obliterated a 3.5in gun, struck the 6in barbette cap beneath which was the barbette itself, and ricocheted into Casablanca; whether it broke due to base slap on the turret armor or due to striking the super-caliber barbette armor, I don't know. One shell passed through some "nothing" and barely nipped the top edge of the belt on its way out of the ship; it's not known whether or not it exploded.
ostriker

Post by ostriker »

:( i don't know what to think now!

Netmarine.net, with a complete history of the ship and the delaited figh against BB59, does not speak about one shell exploding in a an empty ammo magazine.

http://www.netmarine.net/bat/croiseur/j ... stoire.htm

This website do the same:

http://polyticks.com/bbma/jeanbart.htm

This one speak about an "empty magazine".

http://www.internet-esq.com/ussaugusta/photos/bart.htm

If a shell penetrated in a magazine, i think it was an AA one, but not the in the armored citadel, for the triple 6 inch gun. :think: :?:
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

It was a 6in magazine. The hit is well documented in English- and French-language reports. See Robert Dumas's book on Jean Bart.