Nicknames

Anything else you want to talk about.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Nicknames

Post by Terje Langoy »

I've always been fascinated by the "nicknames" that was given to some battleships. They sometimes had a romantic kind of nickname, and other times something powerful that kind of personalized or magnified their presence. For instance, I remember that when I first heard of "The Mighty Hood" I was thinking of more than just a large warship. It gives the imagination of her an extra dimension, don't you think? And what about the Tirpitz, given the romantic title Lonely Queen of the North? Or the New Jersey, also called The Big Jay? The Twins? So, just to expand my vocabulary, what other nicknames are there?

Best regards
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

The Hood was also called the Navy biggest submarine... because she was so wet.
Missouri is called "Mighty Mo".
There are others but I can´t remember.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Gary

Post by Gary »

South Dakota was originally nicknamed "Battleship X"
Most just call her SoDak though.

Renown and Repulse were known as "Refit" and "Repair"

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were nicknamed "Salmon" and "Gluckstein" by the British.

Warspite was nicknamed "The old lady"

Massachusetts was nicknamed "Big Mamie"

North Carolina was "Showboat"

West Virginia was "WeeVee"
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

USS Texas of the 1890s was known as Old Hoodoo.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Wisconsin "Wisky" [sic]
Indianapolis "Indi"
Scharnhorst "Scharni" (?)
Kennedy "JFK" or "Big John"

There is actually a list, perhaps with some deletions and errors. http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-wa ... wp-content
Ulrich
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Lots of thanks for providing me a list, Ulrich. :D

Didn't the British also have an Indy? I thought of one of their frigates, the Indefatigable from the sailing era? Was this nickname applied to the WWI battlecruiser too, perhaps? It seems like a name easily applied to RN vessels that starts with - Ind, such as the Indomitable and of course the Indefatigable. Was not the Bismarck nicknamed "The German Pride" also? And "floating fortress" applied for the Tirpitz? Any more contributions upon the German, French and Italian ships such as Richelieu, Vittorio Veneto and others would be very appreciated.

Best regards
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

It is hard to say what the nicknames were that the actual sailors called their ship and what the press and writers and historians fabricated
And "floating fortress" applied for the Tirpitz?
The Tirpitz has also been referred to as the "Queen of the North" and the "Lonely Queen of the Ice" etc. Most ships have many attributions in the press and by self-appointed historians, but the only thing that really matters is what the men who sailed her called her. I have never seen a report that shows that the sailors of the Tirpitz referred to their ship as the "Einsame Eis-Königin" or the "Königin des Nordens" etc..
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

Terje Langoy wrote:Lots of thanks for providing me a list, Ulrich. :D

Didn't the British also have an Indy? I thought of one of their frigates, the Indefatigable from the sailing era? Was this nickname applied to the WWI battlecruiser too, perhaps? It seems like a name easily applied to RN vessels that starts with - Ind, such as the Indomitable and of course the Indefatigable. Was not the Bismarck nicknamed "The German Pride" also? And "floating fortress" applied for the Tirpitz? Any more contributions upon the German, French and Italian ships such as Richelieu, Vittorio Veneto and others would be very appreciated.

Best regards
The British I believe actually used a nickname as the official name for one of His Majesty's submarines in the Far East - HMS Tally-ho!!
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote: The Tirpitz has also been referred to as the "Queen of the North" and the "Lonely Queen of the Ice" etc. Most ships have many attributions in the press and by self-appointed historians, but the only thing that really matters is what the men who sailed her called her. I have never seen a report that shows that the sailors of the Tirpitz referred to their ship as the "Einsame Eis-Königin" or the "Königin des Nordens" etc..
A very good point. Well, let's narrow it down to the names used by the respective sailors. (And perhaps the names used by the enemy? I'm sure the British gave the KM-ships a lot of names)
shuttlefan101

Post by shuttlefan101 »

triptiz was one her own after the lost of her elder sister. and with Prinz Eugen, I call her PE for shout.
Bis, trip, and PE i love you girls, go on say it i'n nuts right?
NIKKI
Admiral-scheer

Post by Admiral-scheer »

Well I don't think its a nickname but some crewmenbers aboard the Bismarck said He was floating life insurrance!

The panzerschiffe's were nicknamed Pocket-Battleships which in my opinon is a nice name.

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were called the Ugly sisters (somewhat contradicting ) because of their power not because they are ugly.

Also for the Tirpitz it was the citizens of Norway that nicknamed her not Germany I think.

And in the provinces of Canada a Bismarck is jelly dohnut with suger all other it. (source:oxford dictionary).
Best regards
RF

Post by RF »

Admiral-scheer wrote:Well I don't think its a nickname but some crewmenbers aboard the Bismarck said He was floating life insurrance!
Do we know who they were and did they survive?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.