Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Anything else you want to talk about.
Garyt

Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Post by Garyt »

Interesting:
The editorial reflected the firestorm surrounding the state's newly passed Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA).

Pence, a possible Republican 2016 presidential candidate, signed the law last week after it was approved by the Republican-controlled legislature. Critics as well as some supporters have said the law could allow businesses to refuse to serve homosexuals on religious grounds.
This leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. I am not gay, nor do I have a gay relative (that I know of), but this is very discriminating. What's next, refusing to serve muslims due to religous beliefs? Or Catholics refusing to serve Lutherans? What if due to my religous beliefs, I feel I should not serve blacks?

It's not that the bible says "thou shall not serve homosexuals", so this is clearly allows a religion to take what actions it desires based upon it's own translation of any religous documents.

This is a very regressive law, I'm surprised it passed.
Garyt

Re: Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Post by Garyt »

Funny. Now they are backtracking and adding a non-discriminatory amendment to it, that you cannot discriminate against someone due to sexual persuasion when asserting your rights under the Freedom restoration act. :shock:

However, this apparently DOES allow you to still discriminate against someone due to their race or religion, as these were not specifically mentioned.

Wow.....all I can say is wow.....

Such a clusterf**, it was an act that clearly allowed dicriminatory actions protected by the umbrella under this act, then it got backlash from the gay and lesbian community, so it laser beamed an exclusion only but specifically for this group. So what are they going to do if the get backlash because it allows racial or religous discrimination?