TERRORIST SHOOTING IN PARIS TODAY

Anything else you want to talk about.
aurora

TERRORIST SHOOTING IN PARIS TODAY

Post by aurora »

12 DEAD IN TERROR ATTACK AT OFFICES OF FRENCH SATIRICAL NEWSPAPER 'CHARLIE HEBDO' PAPER ANGERED SOME MUSLIMS AFTER PUBLISHING CRUDE CARICATURES OF ISLAM'S PROPHET MOHAMMED

DEADLIEST FRENCH TERRORIST ATTACK IN 20 YEARS

10 CHARLIE HEBDO STAFF AMONG DEAD - INCLUDING EDITOR AND LEAD CARTOONIST
Five more are critically injured - gunmen are still at large

French President Francois Hollande has said 'France is in shock from a terrorist attack.'

David Cameron described the attack as 'sickening' :evil: :evil:

Source Yahoo.co.uk
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: TERRORIST SHOOTING IN PARIS TODAY

Post by Dave Saxton »

It's really about freedom. Some factions can not tolerate freedom of expression and freedom of religion. They feel they must attempt to silence opposition through violence because they can not compete in the market place of ideals and principles. Such intolerable ideals, and such terrorism, of course can not be tolerated by civilized society.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Garyt

Post by Garyt »

North Korea responded to an extent in a similar way about the "the interview", though it was done with a cyber attack with a company as a target as opposed to deadly violence targeting individuals.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Let me know when the leadership of the "moderate Islamic community" speaks out against these outrages.
Let me know when Europe finally becomes enraged.
Let me know when Europe finally takes action.

I regretfully anticipate more hand-wringing moral relativism and "mutual understanding". Watching slow motion cultural suicide is to terribly depressing.

B
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Byron Angel wrote:Let me know when the leadership of the "moderate Islamic community" speaks out against these outrages.
Let me know when Europe finally becomes enraged.
Let me know when Europe finally takes action.

I regretfully anticipate more hand-wringing moral relativism and "mutual understanding". Watching slow motion cultural suicide is to terribly depressing.

B
Islamic clerics all over the world have and are speaking out against this outrage.

What exactly is "Europe" supposed to do about this? Institute a police state?
aurora

Post by aurora »

The trouble is- that the West just does not know what do do about the Islamic extremists. All types of military action is as nothing to their cause-which is- dare I say it-domination.The leaders of the Western World and Eastern Islamic States proclaim disapproval; but are powerless to prevent outrages,It is a melancholy state of affairs.

Jim
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

The purpose of attacks like this is to get the states (France in this case) to crack down on their Muslim populations, which in turn creates more Jihadists.

I don't see any good solution.
aurora

Post by aurora »

Good point Steve; but only if a sovereign state takes such action; but this in turn is counter productive.Hitler tried this with his Jewish population and his ultra extremist action came to nought. :?

Jim
aurora

Post by aurora »

Charlie Hebdo attack: Suspect Cherif Kouachi was known to police
50 minutes ago

One of the main suspects in the shooting of 12 people at the office of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo was jailed in 2008 and had long been known to police for militant Islamist activities.
Born in Paris and of Algerian origin, Cherif Kouachi, is still on the run, along with his brother Said.

Frank Gardner reports.

Jim
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Steve Crandell wrote:The purpose of attacks like this is to get the states (France in this case) to crack down on their Muslim populations, which in turn creates more Jihadists.

In my opinion those with a jihadist bent are going to do it anyway. Let them know if they choose jihad they choose death for themselves.

The French can retaliate against ISIS with whom they are already engaged and against other foreign terrorist cells anywhere in the world rather than cracking down with police at home. They need to retaliate and retaliate very forcefully with their military for an undetermined period of time of their own choosing. No time limits. No borders. None of that measured response BS.

And whats wrong with the free press through out the world? They need to be publishing and broadcasting the offending cartoons in complete defiance of these attacks.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Dave Saxton wrote:
Steve Crandell wrote:The purpose of attacks like this is to get the states (France in this case) to crack down on their Muslim populations, which in turn creates more Jihadists.

In my opinion those with a jihadist bent are going to do it anyway. Let them know if they choose jihad they choose death for themselves.

The French can retaliate against ISIS with whom they are already engaged and against other foreign terrorist cells anywhere in the world rather than cracking down with police at home. They need to retaliate and retaliate very forcefully with their military for an undetermined period of time of their own choosing. No time limits. No borders. None of that measured response BS.

And whats wrong with the free press through out the world? They need to be publishing and broadcasting the offending cartoons in complete defiance of these attacks.
Your idea of the French responding against ISIS is a good one, but I'm not sure how they would do that. The air campaign has probably approaching saturation level and there is no good way for them to do more. On the other hand, additional French air assets might make it less stressful on the other nations providing that kind of support. They might be able to provide limited support to the Kurds on the ground.

Most of the world press finds the cartoons distasteful. While they support the idea of the free press, they might not be willing to publish the cartoons in question.
aurora

Post by aurora »

"And whats wrong with the free press through out the world? They need to be publishing and broadcasting the offending cartoons in complete defiance of these attacks".

The world's Free Press is run by people who are not martyrs; and broadcasting offending cartoons in complete defiance-the jihadists cannot and will not be deterred from further murder. Ordinary people, unlike say the SAS,are naturally afraid.That is where the idea falls down Dave.

Jim
aurora

Post by aurora »

Paris shooting: Charlie Hebdo suspects located in northern France as policewoman dies in separate shoot-out.Live updates from France - as police reportedly surround a house in a village in northern France, with the Charlie Hebdo suspects inside

Yahoo News.By Chris Parsons | Yahoo News. – 6 hours ago

Jim
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

The so called "free press" has no problems publishing items that are offensive to Christians and other religions. Could it be that they are less likely to be attacked by their followers on a regular basis? Could it possibly be the followers of a particular religion are intolerant of anyone who does not believe as they do? Those followers do not live in civil societies and many thousands if not millions of them believe that what happened in Paris is justified. The west had better wake up. The religion of intolerance is playing for keeps and the west had better recognize it and protect its culture and institutions.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

frontkampfer wrote:The so called "free press" has no problems publishing items that are offensive to Christians and other religions. Could it be that they are less likely to be attacked by their followers on a regular basis? Could it possibly be the followers of a particular religion are intolerant of anyone who does not believe as they do? Those followers do not live in civil societies and many thousands if not millions of them believe that what happened in Paris is justified. The west had better wake up. The religion of intolerance is playing for keeps and the west had better recognize it and protect its culture and institutions.
What do you suggest "the west" do about this?