A chance to be a figure in history...

Anything else you want to talk about.
steffen19k

A chance to be a figure in history...

Post by steffen19k »

So I've decided to submit an application for Mars One, a mission that intends to put people on the Red Planet by 2023.

The catch is that if you go to Mars, you are staying there, permanently... A "One Way Ticket".

Here's hoping that I can beat out thousands of other people for a slot.
Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again. Here is everything I know about life: The only certainties are death and taxes.
The enemy of freedom are those who proclaim only they can uphold it.
culverin

Re: A chance to be a figure in history...

Post by culverin »

Bye bye.

Made your will yet Steffen.
What are you trying to achieve incidentally. Relieve the earth of its burgeoning population.

They, yes they, always say there are 2 certainties in life.
Death and taxes. Suppose you may avoid the latter, but rather drastic don't you think.

Look forward to your post card. Red is not de rigeur colour a la moment, don't you know.
A full broadside. The traditional English salute.
Thanks. Sean.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

You do realize that the thin martian atmosphere is mostly co2 and the temp is always below zero F?
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
steffen19k

Post by steffen19k »

Dave Saxton wrote:You do realize that the thin martian atmosphere is mostly co2 and the temp is always below zero F?
What was it Kennedy said about the moon... Something about "We don't do it because it's easy, but because it's hard." Do I have that right?

And there's the link so you can see this project for yourselves. http://mars-one.com/en/
Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again. Here is everything I know about life: The only certainties are death and taxes.
The enemy of freedom are those who proclaim only they can uphold it.
RF

Post by RF »

The NASA objective in the 1960's was to put a Man on the Moon and safely bring him back to Earth. In other words it wasn't a one way journey.

While Mars has a less hostile environment than the Moon, it still poses enormous problems for permanent settlement, which the website quoted tends to understate. Mars has one third of Earth's gravity, it has little protection from solar wind or from gamma and X-rays as Mars has no magnetic field or ozone layer. What about food supply? Drinking water? Short term supply from Earth isn't a long term indigenous supply. What about the long term medical effects? What about the long term psychological and physiological effects?

Todays' technology can start a base on Mars, it can allow a landing on Mars as part of a mission to then return to Earth. But the issue of permanent settlement implies terraforming Mars. That is a separate issue altogether.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Vic Dale

Post by Vic Dale »

Mars is definitely the place to go and I would recommend it to all of the world's political leaders, their advisers and Military Chiefs. I think all royalty should go there too. I would have all of the heads of the churches around the world settle and try to establish their churches there. I would also send the world's terrorists, chaves, drunkards and misfits, mass murderers and child molesters. I would empty the prisons and also send David Cameron and the whole of the Tory cabinet. In fact I would round up all of the most useless people in the world and send them there so they could find happiness and purpose in an exciting new world.

So eager am I for this project to work, I would happily chip in to a fund to get it under way asap. Perhaps we could take the heads off all the world's ICBMs and fire them off carrying as many as possible of the first wave now. We could have them circling the planet until we had worked out the final details, for landing them safely and finding out if Mars could support life. If we found that Mars was not suitable we could always look for somewhere else.

I like that one way ticket idea. It sort of suits the client group I have in mind.
You do realize that the thin martian atmosphere is mostly co2 and the temp is always below zero F?
We would advise them to wrap up warm.
RF

Post by RF »

Dave Saxton wrote:You do realize that the thin martian atmosphere is mostly co2 and the temp is always below zero F?
Mars atmosphere is 97% carbon dioxide and 3% nitrogen. I believe in equitorial regions in the Martian summer temperatures do rise to about freezing point, this is due to the bigger axial tilt of Mars compared to Earth.
RF

Post by RF »

Vic Dale wrote:Mars is definitely the place to go and I would recommend it to all of the world's political leaders, their advisers and Military Chiefs. I think all royalty should go there too.
I fear that in time, when its realised that there isn't and never was life in any substantive form on Mars, then Mars will become as boring as the Moon. Mercury has all but disappeared off NASA's list of priorites.

Now Mars does have frozen water ice and is capable of being terraformed - at very great cost. However even if that is overcome there are two basic problems, the low gravity (one third that of Earth) and of exposure to solar radiation (no magnetic field on Mars to deflect the solar wind). And there is the problem of distance and transit time.
Vic Dale

Post by Vic Dale »

Oh I am pretty sure there was life on Mars, though not perhaps in the form we might know. Then again, there is no miracle to life. Life will flourish in the most unlikely of places. Try and stop it. So whatever life was there will have been shaped by it's environment just as we were.

I would suggest that life has flourished in all parts of the universe, but because the universe is infinite and timeless that life elsewhere does not exist in the same time frame as ours, so sadly all we will ever find is life which has ceased to exist or planets where life has yet to flourish. Going by the way we treat foreigners that might not be a bad thing.

Funny things humans. We go looking for life on other planets and if we find something we have to kill it before it kills us. The distances are too vast to make it a worthwhile under taking.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

"there is no miracle to life"

Really? How can one be so categorically certain of that?

B
RF

Post by RF »

Vic Dale wrote:Oh I am pretty sure there was life on Mars, though not perhaps in the form we might know. Then again, there is no miracle to life. Life will flourish in the most unlikely of places. Try and stop it. So whatever life was there will have been shaped by it's environment just as we were.
For life to exist it needs a starting point. That is an unknown.