Chilean Miners

Anything else you want to talk about.
lwd

Re: Chilean Miners

Post by lwd »

While there was some external help it's clear that most of the credit for this does indead go to Chile. Indeed the performance of the governement, people, and even the mining company was impressive. They focused on the rescue and doing it right and thankfully they rescued them all. All around a very impressive performance.

As for how other countries would have handled it that's a rather open question. I'm not sure that there are any mines that deep here in the US. If there are between the geological conditions and the safty regulations I'm not certain the situation would develop like this. As for China or Russia it's hard to come up with a defintive answer.

In any case congratulations are due to all involved. The Chileans have turned a disaster into a triumph.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

And quite an impressive triumph! Awesome!

:clap:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Indeed. And a very good use of smilies on your part, I often forget they exist :oops:
So will make up for it a bit here.

For Karl: :ok:

For Chile: :clap: :dance: :clap:

And for the miners Welcom back to the sun and stars glad you all made it.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote: In any case congratulations are due to all involved. The Chileans have turned a disaster into a triumph.
I fully agree.

With respect to both China and Russia, there were several major mining disasters during the times of hardline communist rule, but these were kept secret. Even now it is difficult to get any details. And both of these countries are still the best at hiding such disasters.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I'm not that sure but I heard lately of several mining accidents in China. Have not followed those so do not know the outcome.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

It seems, from reports in the British press, that the overall condition of these miners now they are back on the surface, isn't as bad as was feared by the expert predictions of a few days ago. After such an ordeal this is remarkable, a tribute to human resilience living in such hostile conditions.
lwd

Post by lwd »

It may also be another area where the Chileans did a very good job as part of the rescue. From early on they appeared to be thinking and doing what they could for both the mental and phisical health of the miners. The former should not be underestimated. Keeping moral up has a huge impact on general health. My impression is that many of the accounts are still underplaying just how well thought out the entire rescue effort was.
RF

Post by RF »

Yes indeed, hopefully full recognition for this will be given to those who organised and executed the rescue, and not left as an afterthought.