sixty years ago

Anything else you want to talk about.
attlante

sixty years ago

Post by attlante »

Sixty years ago, two mass destruction weapons where launched on two populated cities. The objetive where not soldiers or militar facilities but women, kids and citizens of all ages.
The bomb was launched on the very centre of Hiroshima, on the marketplace.
Total destruction and devastation was launched estrictly on civilians in a calculated act.
Today we must remember the 140.000 people killed in Hiroshima and 80.000 people killed in Nagasaky and the horror and pain of generations.
Today is a day to honor these victims and remember..............
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Yes, you are correct, today is a day to remember the horror of that day sixty years ago at Hiroshima, and the followup horror at Nagasaki. And, a day to make note that we should never allow ourselves to be forced to use weapons like these again.

However, we should also remember the certain millions of lives and injuries that were spared resulting from the use of these weapons, which brought the most horrible conflict in man's history to a sudden and quick end, a year of more before it would have ultimately ended anyway, with far greater loss and horror than occurred at these unfortunate cities.

Derf
attlante

Post by attlante »

>>>However, we should also remember the certain millions of lives and injuries that were spared resulting from the use of these weapons, which brought the most horrible conflict in man's history to a sudden and quick end, a year of more before it would have ultimately ended anyway, with far greater loss and horror than occurred at these unfortunate cities.>>>

The calculated cold blood killing of hundreds thousands civilians is not justifiable by human reason in the world. If America wanted to impress the Japanese or the Russians, the bombs could be launched in front of the islands, on the sea, and the world would have realized that the Americans had the A bomb. If we can find any justification for a bombing with nuclear weapons in the very heart of Hiroshima, to “save lives” I would admit then that a nuclear terrorist attack in, let’s say New York would be also justifiable, some lives would be saved in the invaded countries where torture, indiscriminate civilian killings and general destruction has been imposed.
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

attlante -

I appreciate your views. But, I feel strongly on this topic - my dad was in this war; I doubt if your's was.

We should not discuss politics in this forum - that is not the intent of the forum, and political discussions will only interfere with our interest in and discussions of the ships. This will be my last posting on this subject.

I ask you to consider the following:

o The fire bomb raids on London, Dresden, Tokyo and other cities caused far more death, destruction, tragedy, horror, pain and anguish in WW2 that did these two weapons we are discussing.

o Read of the unfortunate sailors on USS Oklahoma, USS Utah, USS Arizona and other victums of the Pearl Harbor raid. Read of the other atrocities of WW2. The decision to use these weapons was based on ending this kind of horror quickly. And, it was successful. As I noted above, millions were saved, both Allied and Japanese lives.

o Do you think for one minute if the Japanese leaders, or the German leaders, had developed these weapons before the US did, that they would have hesitated one second before deciding to use them against the Allies? I think not!

o War is a terrible thing, my friend. At all times, one must do whatever is needed to end it quickly. President Truman made the correct decision.

Adios and Auf Wiedersehen!

Derf
attlante

no, it is not Justifiable and it will never will be.

Post by attlante »

Mass murder and indiscriminate killing of civilians can not be justified.
Does not matter if Nazis or Americans; the killing of women, children and elderly people with not military value is a criminal act and can only be considered an evil act.
There is a big difference between the moral and ethics of those which would use that weapon to cause indiscriminate carnage, and the ones that would only use it to show the enormous destructive power of the atom, but without killing thousand of civilians. If still the use of the A bomb would be considered worth, it should be launched on military facilities trying to save civilians lives.
However; the bomb was launched on the very centre of Hiroshima.
The story can not forget this act and must be remember, because beyond any excuse and denial, it was such an evil act as the worst things that ever happened in that war.
One day, maybe I will find that American civilians suffer the same pain and devastation.
Then I will remember Hiroshima, and your commentaries and justifications.
Hasta la vista.