SCHARNHORST SONG

Anything else you want to talk about.
schan-2

new "scharnhorst" song

Post by schan-2 »

i purchased this new song on cd "Scharnhorst". it is an awesome song. 3 and a half
minutes of historical musical bliss about the life of one of germany's great warships-
Scharnhorst. being a history buff i highly recommend this song. a lot has been
written about the Bismarck and rightfully so, this song will make you stop and
think. found the cd on www.historical-war-songs.com
RF

Re: new "scharnhorst" song

Post by RF »

I haven't come across this song before, do you know its origin?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
schan-2

Post by schan-2 »

hello RF,
I did the leg work for you. i was curious as to why this guy would write a song about
the Scharnhorst. i stumbled onto his website by accident. turns out he's from my home state. the reason he told me that he chose the Scharnhorst is the loss of life
on both sides-british and germans. considering how many ships the Scharnhorst
sunk both convoy and warship-and more importantly the loss of lives from these
ships is why he wrote the song. Bismarck-one ship-HOOD-many lives lost and scored hits on a couple of others. grant it, at the time HOOD was the pride of the british
fleet, but Scharnhorst sunk many ships and is hardly know but to historians like
us. I bought the cd cause i love music and i love history and sad to say there haven't
been many war songs written. This song is a classic. It sounds like it should be
a sound track in a movie, very well produced. francis {author} said in the near future he will have other songs out about different scenarios in different wars.
he's very sharp on WW2 and the civil war. i strongly recommend this cd. it's great
that we have a site like this where we can communicate our experiences.
RF- take care and GOD bless. T
RF

Post by RF »

Thanks for the info, schan-2.

The name of Scharnhorst was fairly well known in this country, having spanned two separate wars, though with the passage of time and with later generations it is fading into history. And of course both Scharnhorst's sank with huge loss of life in extremely cold waters at almost opposite ends of the globe, there being no survivors at all from the 1914 sinking.
schan-2

SCHARNHORST

Post by schan-2 »

howdy RF,
just a thought-another what if- what do you think the scharnhorst's chances
would have been had they turned straight for the convoy instead of trying to run away? they could of taken down many convoy ships and maybe a destroyer or two
thinking that the british would not fire at her amongst it's own ships. they would
have to wait for her to come out the other side. in the interim scharnhorst could
be blowing these ships up at point blank range and give her time to deploy her
torpedoes against any destroyer or for that matter-DUKE OF YORK. SCHARNHORST
never used her torpedoes. i understand the convoy would scatter but with her
speed she could of done i believe a lot of damage before the british warships ever caught her AND JUST MAYBE---
T
lwd

Post by lwd »

Scharnhorst would have to get awfully close to the ships to prevent the British from firing on her. The DDs would probably try to get thier fish in the water well before Scharnhorst was in amongst the convoy. That makes it a crap shoot. A couple torpedos can have a very drastic effect on a naval action, especially where one side only has one ship.
jimjoan1

SCHARNHORST SONG

Post by jimjoan1 »

THE NEW CD SONG ABOUT THE SCHARNHORST IS BOTH ENJOYABLE AND MEANINGFUL; IT HAS BEEN Many YEARS SINCE THE BISMARK SONG;THERE IS A WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN HEAR A SNIPPET OF THE SONG; I FOUND THE SITE BY TYPING SCHARNHORST SONG, OR MAYBE IT WAS SONG SCHARNHORST. THE WEB SITE PROVIDED A SUMMARY OF THIS GERMAN BATTLESHIP'S WINS AND LOSS; I PLAY THIS SONG ALL THE TIME! ....JIM
jimjoan1

SCHARNHORST SONG

Post by jimjoan1 »

THERE IS A NEW SONG ON A CD ABOUT THE SCHARNHORST; THERE IS ALSO A WEB SITE WHERE YOU CAN HEAR A SNIPPET OF THIS SONG:I CAN'T REMEMBER WHETHER IT IS SONG SCHARNHORST OR SCHARNHORST SONG; BUT THIS SITE INCLUDES SOME MODELS AND A BRIEF BIOGRAPHY OF THIS BATTLESHIP...LATER...JIM
lwd

Re: SCHARNHORST SONG

Post by lwd »

All caps is kind of hard to read and by convention is the equivalent of shouting. You'll find that you get a better reception in most places if you turn off the cap lock.
schan-2

Post by schan-2 »

thanks lwd for your reply.
my thought process was when Scharnhorst knew it was being chased and the odds
of escaping were minimal at best, why not head for the convoy, it may have made it
before it took all those shots,even without the main radar, it did have bearings
and for that matter right at Duke of York. I understand when 'you're the only
battleship left theory' but there had to be a time before too much damage was done, that she knew she would be caught- so lets do some damage to them.
thanks again lwd. GOD bless.
T
lwd

Post by lwd »

Just looking at the details on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_bat ... charnhorst
It looks like Scharnhorst was going after the convoy up until they were first engaged by the Duke of York. Scharnhorst then succeeded in disengaging. At that point they probably thought they had a good chance of making it home.
RF

Post by RF »

schan-2

At the critical point you identify the evidence of Petty Officer Goode was that Bey and Hintze both thought that Scharnhorst would escape. Moreover they had still not located the convoy itself.