John Adams

Anything else you want to talk about.
RF

John Adams

Post by RF »

Channel 4 in Britain is currently showing a series about the life of the first US vice-President and second President. Has anyone else seen this series, and if so what do you think of it?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Legend

Re: John Adams

Post by Legend »

I saw part of it! It was awhile ago here though. I thought what I saw of it was pretty good, historically correct and really lifelike. I only saw one of the beginning episodes though... when he was in Europe with Benjamin Franklin in France, (I'm talking about the right one right?), and then in Holland trying to get money, then sending his son off to Russia or something... it was awhile ago, like back during the summer...
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
RF

Post by RF »

The first three episodes have been shown, going up to his diplomatic mission to France and the Netherlands. The fourth episode will be shown tonight.

Given that this is obviously an American series and that John Adams is virtually unknown in Britain I was wondering how accurate a life portrayal it was. I was also interested to see the portrayal of his son, John Quincy, who of course was later to be the sixth US President.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Here (in the US) he is a very big Revolutionary figure and is taught about with other of our Founding Fathers... he was one of the people who was really fighting for our independance in the Continental Congress, one of the first. Then others slowly began to sympathize with his cause as relations with the British dimnished... more taxes, housing soldiers, ect.
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I don't have any reason to doubt the authenticity, but I'm not an expert on him. Like Legend, I only know the basics.
RF

Post by RF »

The series has now concluded, and with the last episode I hadn't realised just how old he had lived to be, apparently outliving all of the other signatories to the Declaration of Independence.
The scene from 1826 with the painting to commemorate that signing I thought made quite a comment with particular resonance today - the scene depicted never actually happened, here we see the distortion and rewriting of history for simple convenience.