Present for young people

Anything else you want to talk about.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Present for young people

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

An interesting gift for young people. I wish someone would produce something like that in the 1250 scale or uniform scale.
“Collector’s Series: U.S. Navy – From Sail to steam and Beyond: A look Inside The World’s Greatest Navy By Robert F. Dorr “includes 4 Collectibel Models”. Thunder Bay Press, San Diego, CA. The box contains a 111 page illustrated USN history. Unfortunately, all models are in diverse scales. The submarine sinks nicely, but so do all the other models. I can remember playing with the plastic Scharnhorst and Bismarck and destroyers etc. in the bathtub in 1940. They all floated; only the U -boot went to the bottom if you did not blow the soapy water out of it occasionally. $8-12 at Amazon!
Ulrich
Bgile

Re: Present for young people

Post by Bgile »

Nice, Karl. :)
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

When I was a boy I used to play with such toys.
Are those made of metal or plastic? :D
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

They are solid resin casts, but they don't float. I checked that right away :D . I would not let a baby play with them, but 5+ would be OK. There are no sharp edges, but a few little item could break off. Can anyone remember the bathtub ships that could be propelled with baking soda and a few drops of vinegar?
Ulrich
Gerard Heimann
Supporter

Post by Gerard Heimann »

Yes, I do remember that "fuel". Of course, if you were also aerospace inclined, there were also those opaque plastic rockets which were sent skyward after pressuring water with a little pump launcher. They probably can't be bought today as the manufacturer would have to worry about someone putting their face in the way of the rocket!

I did graduate to the Estes Rockets. Very nice models.

I keep telling myself that my aging eyes will make modelling too difficult but I think that I have a R-boat in the closet somewhere that I might tackle one of these wintry days

Gerard