Obama or McCain - who would you vote for?

Anything else you want to talk about.

Who would you vote for?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Obama
50%
McCain
50%

Total votes: 6

RF

Re: Obama or McCain - who would you vote for?

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:RF:

Without FDR I doubt GB could have stand so long.

Best regards.
I'm not so sure, as Britain had the resources of an empire to draw on, including mid-East oil. So long as the shipping routes remained open, Britain survives.

Without FDR as President, who do we have? Alf Landon, from the 1936 Presidential Election - an isolationist? But as a conservative Republican a strong believer in defending the USA's interests against potential Axis aggression. I think his atitude towards Hitler would not have been very different from Roosevelt.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

And if it were the case FDR had died in office then John Garner would be President. I don't know too much about this individual but Iwould imagine he would follow the same policy as FDR - and tread a very fine line for the 1940 Presidential election.
RF

Post by RF »

Colin Powell has endorsed Barack Obama. Will this change matters, or does Colin Powell not matter?
Vic Dale

Post by Vic Dale »

It sounds as if the idiot season has opened again. A UFO has been sighted.

I have noticed a pattern where each time a democrat gets elected or is likely to be elected someone sights a UFO and attention is drawn in that direction. This has been going on since the 1960s. I have been expecting it. The political spectrum is likely to become clouded by all sorts of spurios events from now on.

Incidentally, I expect everyone saw that strange woman at the Mc Cain rally suggest that Obama was an Arab. I think this was a put-up job, so that Mc Cain could be seen as the nice guy after all the rubbish which had been flung at Obama. I can now see the reason why Palin has been brought into the picture, she is the rotweiler and Mc Cain is like grandad who draws the children together and bids them to play nicley. By the use of Palin, Mc Cain thinks he can stand above Obama and Palin both and be seen to bring reason and calm and pour oil on troubled waters. Palin nothing more than Mc Cain's fighting dog.

Incidentally, the endorsement of Colin Powell should hang like a lead weight around Obama's neck. This Powell is a man who should NOT be tusted, so for him to suggest that in his judgement Obama IS to be trusted is a bit rich and to me it stinks to high heaven.

In Britain during the 1980s Micheal Foot was standing for election to prime minister and a member of his own party Dennis Healy flew to Russia for a cosy chat with some officials. This was with the cold war still running quite hot. Healy came back and told the world that the Russian people had endorsed Foot's candidacy - the Russian's would like nothing more than to see a labour government! That was the death-knell for Foot - the 'Zinoviev' letter. The party itself had chosen Foot to lead it, but those at the top including Healy did not want him and they basically linked arms with the millionaire press to see that he didin't get elected. It was felt among our ranks that the leaders tried to kill Foot, by organising 80 outdoor rally's in that election month. The load certainly told on the health of this elderly man. If he had been elected after that, he probably would have lasted as long as Andropov.

Back to Obama; he cannot afford to trust Powell. Powell is military through and through and the military do not want Obama. The US citizens should reject Powell's endorsement and judge Obama for themselves. The democrats should reject him too. The US people need to make it clear that the military does not play politics. The generals have powerful positions due to their association with guns and war strategy. Their judgement belongs in that theatre and does not translate to a knowledge of the political field.

This action should be taken as a warning to Obama. The mafia keep their friends close and their enemies closer (according to Don Corleone anyway). The military were responsible for Kennedy's protection and when it was most needed it was found that it had been sent elsewhere. Obama is likely to take the USA out of Iraq and Afghanistan and that will mean the US arms corporations will lose money - during peace time their income is about one thenth of what it is when war threatens or becomes a fact. I believe they will kill Obama for that alone. For the time being sabotage of his election campaign is enough and Powell is the booby-trap.

Vic Dale
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Colin Powell commands a lot of respect here. He was seen as a voice of moderation when he was Secretary of State in the Bush administration and I believe he resigned because he wasn't being listened to by the President. It didn't help that he was given misleading intelligence information and was embarrassed when he used it at the UN as justification for the Iraq invasion, and it was subsequently proven false and misleading.

His endorsement will definitely have an effect, especially among moderate and/or undecided voters.
RF

Post by RF »

Vic Dale wrote:
Incidentally, the endorsement of Colin Powell should hang like a lead weight around Obama's neck. This Powell is a man who should NOT be tusted, so for him to suggest that in his judgement Obama IS to be trusted is a bit rich and to me it stinks to high heaven.

Back to Obama; he cannot afford to trust Powell.

Vic Dale
Why??
RF

Post by RF »

Vic Dale wrote:
.....and the military do not want Obama.

Obama is likely to take the USA out of Iraq and Afghanistan and that will mean the US arms corporations will lose money - during peace time their income is about one thenth of what it is when war threatens or becomes a fact. I believe they will kill Obama for that alone. For the time being sabotage of his election campaign is enough and Powell is the booby-trap.

Vic Dale
The current TV series on the US by Simon SChama suggests that not all military personel support McCain.

But I suppose Vic, we are back to the ''Military-Industrial Complex.'' These conspiracy theories usually lack foundation when critically examined. If Obama is another McGovern I think the Republicans would have come up with a better candidate than McCain. Are you suggesting that a President Obama will be assassinated? If so how does that help the business combines you refer to - as the Democrats stay in the White House (unless you can kill President, Vice-President, Speaker of the House of Representatives and US Secretary of State all at the same time).
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Obama is a very unusual person. "Just another Democrat" probably would not be capable of accomplishing as much. He is also a black man. If you are a right wing radical, that is a very bad thing. So you try to kill him. Powell's wife opposed his running for President for that very reason.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Bgile wrote:... "Just another Democrat" probably would not be capable of accomplishing as much.
Or might be capable of acomplishing a lot more.
He is also a black man. If you are a right wing radical, that is a very bad thing. So you try to kill him. ....
A bunch of falacies and assumptions burried in those sentances. Not all right wing radicals consider black=bad. Not all think that bad is enough motive for murder. Now there might be some radical racist that would be tempted but that's quite a different implication from what you posted.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

lwd wrote:
Bgile wrote:... "Just another Democrat" probably would not be capable of accomplishing as much.
Or might be capable of acomplishing a lot more.
He is also a black man. If you are a right wing radical, that is a very bad thing. So you try to kill him. ....
A bunch of falacies and assumptions burried in those sentances. Not all right wing radicals consider black=bad. Not all thinkthat bad is enough motive for murder. Now ther emight be some radical racist that would be tempted but that's quite a different implication from what you posted.
Excuse me. I apologize to the right wing radicals everywhere who are not racist. You seem to have missed my point. You like to pick out little gramatical inconsistencies and attack them in order to give yourself reason to debate the obvious. I probably shouldn't have posted on this topic because political views are held due to a lifetime of beliefs, and I am just putting myself out there as a verbal punching bag. I really don't want to engage in that here.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

See, this is why I dont like threads in the forum about politics.

Lwd, I think we all got the point Bgile was trying to make. Don't feel compelled to quote and reply to everything it is said at all times. The forum is supposed to be a community of friends and things like this may end up creating animosity between us.

Take it easy guys!
lwd

Post by lwd »

But is the point valid? There have been more publicised assaciantion attempt vs Republican presidents in recent years than there have been vs Democratic ones. I'm not at all convinced that Obama would be in any more danger from assacination than McCain would be.

Furthermore by equating right wing radicals to racist to murderers he to some extent encourageing the generalization to all on the right.

If one states an opinion with little to back it up then one should expect those who disagree or merely don't agree to ask questions and point out falicies.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

José M. Rico wrote:See, this is why I dont like threads in the forum about politics.

Lwd, I think we all got the point Bgile was trying to make. Don't feel compelled to quote and reply to everything it is said at all times. The forum is supposed to be a community of friends and things like this may end up crating animosity between us.

Take it easy guys!
That's true, and I also have to be careful about how I respond to others.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Hey guys, first post regretably is in this clouded subject. I am woundering if any of you watched the Debates... I say the first one, the VP vs VP, and bits and pieces of the others. I must say from these Obama and Biden look like the more competant nominees. On the first Debate McCain refused to look at Obama, or respond directly to him... and sneered when Obama talked to him. Though both were slightly repetitive, McCain repeated his same points over and over.
In the Vice president Debate I observed the two (Biden and Palen) were much more friendly toward each other than during the Presidential one. They both made good points to their arguements, and often agreeing on certain points. I do regret though, that Sarah Palen acted like a crazed soccer (more like hockey) mom than a seasoned politician. On the other side of the table Biden made very good points supperting his runningmate.
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Let`s close this thread. Politics is rubbish. Let`s talk ships. Let`s talk... umhhh... how Yamato beats H41... or Montana? :lol: I`m mean...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill