Hello all.

Anything else you want to talk about.
JustinT

Hello all.

Post by JustinT »

Im Justin, im an apprentice mechanic in Grande Prairie, a smaller city in Alberta Canada. i've long been an admirer of ww2 warships, paticularly battleships, and as a kid i long had a fascination with both the Bismark and Titanic, the former from first watching the old black and white movie Sink the Bismark!. anyway, i will be posting, quite a few topics here that got my interest.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Hi JustinT:

I share with you the fascination for those both ships (and some others). Welcome.

Kind regards...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Re: Hello all.

Post by RF »

Welcome to the forum Justin.

But don't forget that the little ships, such as the cruisers and destroyers, can be as important as the big battlewagons. Operation Rheinubung would have turned out very differently had Prinz Eugen not been in company with Bismarck......
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

I'm not sure I'd call the Eugen a little ship but concur with the sentement.

Welcome aboard, feel free to jump in to the conversations or ask questions.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd,

What I was alluding to was the Eugen influencing the DS battle - if Bismarck was alone Hood would have fired on the right ship and if, as likely, Bismarck was hit early on by Hood, things could have turned out very different.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Oh no question that cruisers played important parts in WWII indeed a case can be made for them being more important than BBs. It's just that I don't consider cruisers to be small. Indeed look how often they were confused with BBs and vice versa. Indeed Denmark straights sis a prime example.
RF

Post by RF »

This is a matter of scale really isn't it - a cruiser looks small in comparison to a Bismarck or Yamato, but very big to a destroyer, just as a destroyer is very big to a corvette or armed trawler.
lwd

Post by lwd »

When I was in cub scouts we went to Bremerton and saw the Missouri. Right next to her was a Baltimore class CA. It didn't look that much smaller. Consider at Denmark Strait Hood mistook Eugen for Bismark. Then consider that the first US center line single caliber main gun BB South Carolina weighed in at 16,000 tons while the Wyoming class that was still in commission during WWII weighed in at ~27,000 tons. A Baltimore class CA displaced almost 14,000 tons and an Alaska class large cruiser displaced ~30,000 tons.
RF

Post by RF »

And of course at DS the Bismarck and Prinz Eugens lookouts reported Hood and POW as cruisers, not fulling realising the true identity until they opened fire. But I think the overall angle you are looking at the target ships will be relevant to some extent.
lwd

Post by lwd »

No arguement there.

Was just thinking about this and realized most of at least the more famous miss ids from the Pacific involved identifying smaller ships with larger one where most of those in the Atlantic were the reverese.

The incidents I'm thinking of:
Pacific - numerous cruisers ID as BB by aircraft, the Taffy ships were all id as at least one class larger.
Atlantic - Harwoods cruisers initially id'd as one class lower and Denmark strait as mentioned.

Probably a lot more and either way but ....
RF

Post by RF »

The Italians made a lot of misidentifications, particulary their submarines. I believe that on one occassion a tribal class destroyer was misidentified as HMS Warspite....
lwd

Post by lwd »

To continue our off topic discussion on cruisers Note that Tiornu has a new book out on them.
RF

Post by RF »

Any info or reviews on this?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I ordered it. :)