Nobel Peace Prize

Anything else you want to talk about.
RF

Nobel Peace Prize

Post by RF »

It has been announced the the Nobel Peace Prize has been jointly awarded to former US Vice President Al Gore and to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, for their ''work'' in promoting the view that ''global warming'' is due to ''human activity.''

Looking at the BBC website forum it would appear that most respondents feel that this award is politically motivated to annoy the Bush Administration, as part of an anti-US atitude that is currently the political flavour in Europe ( by that I mean the whole of the continent of Europe not the EU).

As the whole issue of ''global warming'' and alleged ''human causes thereof'' is scientifically inconclusive (as I see it) I would have thought the award was at least premature.

But looking at some of the previous recipients of the award, such as Anwar Sadat and Menachim Begin, perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised. Could it even be, like the IPCC, the Nobel Prize Committee needs to grab the headlines to give itself a feeling of importance, to justify its continuing existence, a disease suffered from by most quangos.

I would be interested to hear what the US members of this forum think.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Gerard Heimann
Supporter

Post by Gerard Heimann »

My view is that Gore has seized a volatile topic to keep himself in the public eye. I don't doubt that he believes in his crusade. Nevertheless, there is ample scientific discussion to the contrary of his positions, enough to shed doubt on his findings. I had not seen his product, but believes it ignores facts not kind to his stance and emphasizes other conditions beyond what the facts will support.

I don't know whether the award is motivated as you suggest. I simply don't think that it was warranted.

Gerard
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I support the idea that something must be done in order to save this planet from us, but Al Gore is, like the Kennedys, Jimmy Carter and the Clintons a populist and opportunist who flies the flag of some ideal in order to be considered a contemporary leader. He is a dangerous demagogue and the Nobel Commision commited another stupid decision. Remember when they gave the Nobel Prize to Rigoberta Menchu, who lied about everything and is just a commie supporter; or Menachem Begin, a terrorist; or Arafat, a murderer and corrupt tyrant... or...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

I wouldn't consider Carter an opertunist. If he was he would have made a better president and in his post presedential phase a worse diplomat.