Bismarck rust

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

dizzypedia

Bismarck rust

Post by dizzypedia »

Hello!

I am looking for an educated advice regarding the weathering of a Bismarck model kit that i am building. I would like to hear your opinion regarding the rust on Bismarck's hull.

Considering the fact that the hull above the waterline was repainted multiple times during the ships life, was there any time for rust to develop on the ships hull? And if yes, do you think it was a lot, do you think it was just a little rust? Which areas of the hull do you think where most predisposed to develop rust? If you have pictures it would greatly help me if i am not asking for too much.

P.S.: I am representing the ship in its early March 1941 paintjob (with red turret tops for Anton and Dora turrets) with Stefan Draminski's book as a reference guide.
chuckfan3@gmail.com

Re: Bismarck rust

Post by chuckfan3@gmail.com »

If she dropped anchor during her journey from Baltic to Norway the chances are the paint would be scrapped off chain and the anchor in the process, and rust would develop quickly on those and when the anchor is weighed and stowed back aboard, some rusty streak will adorn the ship’s side under the anchors where sea Water mixed with rust will run down the ship’s sides.