PoW, Bismarck, Vittorio Veneto Torpedo Hits

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Cag

Re: PoW, Bismarck, Vittorio Veneto Torpedo Hits

Post by Cag »

Hi All,

Hello Kevin, I know the survey of Prince of Wales was carried out between April and May 1966, an appraisal appeared in the RN Diving Magazine Vol 14 No1 in spring 1967, which is basically similar to what you have in the Battleship Book by Middlebrook and Mahoney.

Hello Mr Mercer, I will take a look but I'm pretty sure a similar expedition was carried out on Repulse but in May 1965 which was published in the RN Diving magazine Vol 12 No3 Winter 1965. I think both are available on line now, I am searching for official reports, but I do know there have been dives on Repulse and unfortunately she too has been damaged and has lost propellers etc due to illegal salvage.

I am hoping to hear information about the torpedo hits on Vittorio Veneto and Bismarck, in the recent Bismarck book there are a number of images and technical drawings explaining the rudder hit, but sadly there is very little I can find on VV.

Best wishes
Cag.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Cag wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:56 am

I am hoping to hear information about the torpedo hits on Vittorio Veneto and Bismarck, in the recent Bismarck book there are a number of images and technical drawings explaining the rudder hit, but sadly there is very little I can find on VV.

Best wishes
Cag.
See The Littorio Class, Italy's Last and Largest Battleships, pages 333-335.

PM me for more info.
Cag

Post by Cag »

Hi All,

Hi Dunmunro, I shall take a look on line to see I'd I can find that, thank you!

Best wishes
Cag.