Modelling questions

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

ebonsi

Modelling questions

Post by ebonsi »

I am starting to work on a large scale (1:350) model of the Bismarck, and I would like to make it as hystorically accurate as possible (within the limits of my modest capabilities). I intend to depict here in the early moments of the Denmarhk Strait battle, flying the signal "Jot Dora". Hence:

- It seems nowadays clear that the national emblems on both bow and stern were not painted over in gray, but rather covered with tarpaulins. Any idea/suggestion about the possible colour?

- I understand that both the jackstaff and the flagstaff were removed, I would however imagine that just the staffs (flag poles) themselves were removed, leaving the support structures in place. Do you agree?

- Has consensus been reached as to whether the roofs of the main and secundary armament turrets were still painted in dark gray? Images of the wreck (of course limited to secundary turrets) look inconclusive to me.

- What about handrails? There seems to be no evidence whatsoever of handrails in the wreck, at least not on the main hull sides, nor on the debris fields. Could it be that these were removed when clearing the ship for action? Any indication of such being standard Kriegsmarine practice?

I would be most grateful for any help. I am 77, such a model project takes quite some time, and I would like being able and finish it before taking leave.
hans zurbriggen

Re: Modelling questions

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello Mr. ebonsi,
best wishes for your great project !
Here my poor opinion re. your questions, waiting for any better info / confirmation (I have edited my previous post as I realized I had made some mistakes):

- bow and stern national emblems covered (IMHO repainted, but difficult to state: 38 cm turret roofs were painted, 15 cm turret roofs were covered with tarpaulins while in GrimstadFjord, most probably repainted later as it is difficult to imagine a battle with tarpaulins covering turret roofs). Dark gray (RAL 7016 or RAL 7024) for turrets, possibly, IMHO, dark or intermediate gray RAL 7000 for bow and stern emblems.

- Bow and stern support structures for jacks were removed, not only folded down onto deck like on Tirpitz (see a photo taken on Tirpitz in 1941, however with other differences vs Bismarck: flag instead of painted emblems and different emblems 'orientation', position and size). Mission duration suggests jacks were totally removed. not only folded. No mission photo shows them AFAIK.

- Within Luftwaffe coverage, turrets were painted yellow; out of Luftwaffe coverage, turrets were painted gray (as written in available operation instructions, see image): they were probably (38 cm at least) painted again yellow on may 26 while approaching France coasts.

- Handrails were folded down onto deck during main and secondary turrets firing, replaced by low nets to retain cartridge cases on board, as per KM standard practice (see photo taken on Panzerschiff Deutschland with 28 cm cartridges: low nets at extreme right).

hans
Attachments
flagstaff.jpg
flagstaff.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
gelb.jpg
gelb.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
cartridges.jpg
cartridges.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Last edited by hans zurbriggen on Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
hans zurbriggen

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello Mr ebonsi,
here orientation and size of Bismarck emblems (photo taken beginning 1941 in Hamburg, with turret roofs still red instead of yellow).
Enjoy your modelling project.

hans
Bismarck bow emblem_Hamburg.jpg
Bismarck bow emblem_Hamburg.jpg (44.13 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
ebonsi

Post by ebonsi »

Many thanks for the useful suggestions.