'New' Photo of Bismarck on the Elbe

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Patrick McWilliams

'New' Photo of Bismarck on the Elbe

Post by Patrick McWilliams »

Hello all,

I was amazed to find this pic., by Walter Hollnagel, apparently:
https://eisenbahnstiftung.de/images/bil ... /82918.jpg

Has this only surfaced recently? As it's new to me, I thought it must be fake (hardly Tirpitz?), although it looks genuine with the foretop cupola rangefinder not yet installed.

Any thoughts or comments?

Regards,

Patrick
hans zurbriggen

Re: 'New' Photo of Bismarck on the Elbe

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello Mr. McWilliams, thanks a lot. I have photos at same time taken from her port side only. Definitely Bismarck: crane position on main deck and two levels funnel platform (among other details) leaves no doubt. All main armament directors rotating cupolas are not yet installed.
IMHO photo taken just after commissioning, transfer (on 15/09/1940) from Hamburg to Kiel.

hans
hans zurbriggen

p.s. Please note also that 2 twin 105 mm missing from aft superstructure per each side (installed when in Gothenhafen only).

hans
Patrick McWilliams

Hello Hans,

Many thanks for your replies. It's quite unusual to find 'new' pictures of Bismarck, hence my delight at this one. I suspected it was taken in the early days, what with the civilians to the foreground cheering as she sailed along the Lower Elbe from Hamburg to Brunsbüttel where the Kiel Canal joins the mouth of the Elbe.

Your suggested date of mid-Sep. 1940 seems reasonable. At first glance, it looks like a misty winter day, but I think it may be evening time in autumn. One of the civilians is in light gear and you can see sunshine at the bottom right. The people are not wearing winter clothing but neither are they in summer dress.

Anyhow, that's probably too much attempted forensic analysis as we enjoy this photo!

Regards,

Patrick
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Very nice photo of the Bismarck. Thanks for sharing.
Its from 15 September 1940 down the Elbe, most likely before she collided with the bow tug Atlantik at 1658 hours.
I have seen several other photos of Bismarck's starboard side on this day. Also, if I remember correctly there is a similar photo in Ballard's book.

Best regards to all.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

She sure was purty. :cool:

WAIT! Where's the guns as big as steers and shells as big as tree? :think:
hans zurbriggen

Hello Mr. OpanaPointer,
could you please clarify what you mean by your question ?

hans
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:48 am Hello Mr. OpanaPointer,
could you please clarify what you mean by your question ?

hans
I was quoting Johnny Horton's song "Sink the Bismarck". Hilarious mistake by someone with little knowledge of the era.
Patrick McWilliams

I can see you're having a bit of fun, but this was a pointless comment, as few (especially someone from mainland Europe) would know the lyrics of that obscure song by Johnny Horton. Also, the massive guns are as clear as day on her superstructure...
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Patrick McWilliams wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:42 pm I can see you're having a bit of fun, but this was a pointless comment, as few (especially someone from mainland Europe) would know the lyrics of that obscure song by Johnny Horton. Also, the massive guns are as clear as day on her superstructure...
Hardly obscure to anyone from an English speaking country over, say 65?, that listened to the radio when young. I for one knew what he meant instantly. It played so often on the radio when I was a child that I can still sing a verse. :shock:
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

I know Euros who remember that song. Worth a chuckle. YMMV
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

José M. Rico wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 pm Also, if I remember correctly there is a similar photo in Ballard's book.
Yes, it's a small one on page 20 taken from the port side though, captioned "The Bismarck on her trials in November 1940" but I suspect that should be September.

Regarding Johnny Horton's song, as Kevin said, hardly obscure - at least not in North America. It reached #3 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in about May 1960 following up his #1 hit "The Battle of New Orleans" the previous year. The song is responsible for starting my lifelong fascination with all things Hood and Bismarck. I never heard the original version of it as a child, but my older brother (14 years older) would play guitar and sing it for me when I was 5 or 6 and I was forever imprinted! He built a model of Bismarck for me and I remember playing with it on the living room floor, using other toys to represent Hood and PoW.

I never understood the "guns as big as steers and shells as big as trees" either - I suspect they reversed the lyrics to get the rhyme.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas all the best for 2023 to everyone!
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

paulcadogan wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:55 pm
José M. Rico wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 pm Also, if I remember correctly there is a similar photo in Ballard's book.
Yes, it's a small one on page 20 taken from the port side though, captioned "The Bismarck on her trials in November 1940" but I suspect that should be September.
The one I was talking about is in the last page 232.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Thanks Jose', yes I see it now.

But this "new" photo of Bismarck reminded me of a photo I saw of Hood and demonstrates the awe-inspiring sight that both ships were to their respective countrymen and women! Quite the parallel!

Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
HMSVF

Post by HMSVF »

paulcadogan wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:42 am Thanks Jose', yes I see it now.

But this "new" photo of Bismarck reminded me of a photo I saw of Hood and demonstrates the awe-inspiring sight that both ships were to their respective countrymen and women! Quite the parallel!

Although the "basics" are there its amazing how far capital ships progressed in 20 years.