Robert J. Winklareth +

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

t-geronimo

Robert J. Winklareth +

Post by t-geronimo »

His son informed me that Mr. Robert "Bob" J. Winklareth has passed away May 3, 2020.
Bob is maybe best known for his "reversed photo" theory regarding the photos of the battle of the Denmark Strait.

R.I.P. Image
Attachments
Death Notice med.jpg
Death Notice med.jpg (69.61 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
Herr Nilsson

Re: Robert J. Winklareth +

Post by Herr Nilsson »

R.I.P.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
hans zurbriggen

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello, Robert's theory was never very popular here, still he has produced a full reconstruction of DS battle that is worth of consideration.

R.I.P.

hans
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Sad news.
I first corresponded with Bob Winklareth when he published his Bismarck book back in 1999, and although I never agreed with his "reversed photo" theory which I consider baseless and without evidence, I always respected the man as the WW2 veteran that he was.

My condolences to family and friends.
Rest in peace Robert Winklareth.
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Fellow Contributors,

One cannot fault the passion and enthusiasm with which Bob Winklareth developed and promoted his theories on Denmark Straits, although subsequent heated debate here and elsewhere gathered few supporters for them. He did at least attempt some kind of new analysis using the photographic and film material, rather than tamely regurgitating tired old material about "plummeting shells" which many other authors were guilty of re-using. Unfortunately his research list of secondary sources did not include Bill Jurens' genuinely revelatory 1987 article from Warship International, and his "imagineering" of a scenario which was supported by no real evidence whatsoever, should have been peer reviewed and questioned by publishers Chatham Publishing and Naval Institute Press before his book saw the light of day.

Unfortunately "contentious and revelatory" books are attractive prospects for some publishers.

I note his 1998 book was dedicated to the memory of his eldest son Franklin. It is sad for any father to have outlived a son, and offer my condolences to his remaining family and friends.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Bill Jurens

Post by Bill Jurens »

Although he and I often disagreed on various points, I invariably found him to be a cooperative, honest, reasonable, and knowledgeable opponent when we disagreed, and a patient and generous source of information when we did not.

I tip my hat to a man who made some fine and useful contributions to the field.

Bill Jurens