W. Hadeler: Kriegschiffsbau

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

RobertsonN

W. Hadeler: Kriegschiffsbau

Post by RobertsonN »

I have today received from Germany a copy of this work by the naval architect published in two volumes in 1968. They have come in only four days from me placing the order. They are in excellent condition. It appears they were once on the training ship Deutschland. The cost was 70 euros + 11 euros postage. I believe that Hadeler designed the Graf Zeppelin.

Compared with Evers there is also material about later ships up to the 1960s. There is a some material about WW2 ships. This appears to be where Friedman took the block coefficients for Bismarck and Scharnhorst from; however, the figure Friedman gives for Bayern is not that given in Hadeler. This is a technical book. Within the first few pages there is a detailed calculation of the centre of gravity of a ship. The second volume concludes with a chapter detailing the various methods of designing a ship. This includes very detailed information about estimating every single weight in a ship. For instance, he gives the total amount of feedwater in a large ship with high pressure boilers as 4.2 kg per SHP. But for a small ship the corresponding figure was only 1.2 kg/SHP.

A glance through the book revealed some things I have not read elsewhere. He remarks that a ship with a high centre of gravity and a moderate metacentric height can heel over to a perhaps alarming degree during a sharp turn. He says that when the Prince of Wales turned away from Bismarck in the Denmark Strait that this caused a turret to jam or some other mishap to occur that put the turret temporarily out of action,

Neil Robertson
frontkampfer

Re: W. Hadeler: Kriegschiffsbau

Post by frontkampfer »

Happy for you on your purchase! There are so many books in German that I wish we're translated to English. Even some WWII books about the German armed forces in French I would very much like to have. Sadly, I'm afraid my two semesters of German would not be enough to do it.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"