We are developers of a new naval sim and we need some help

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Herr Nilsson

Re: We are developers of a new naval sim and we need some help

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Hi,

that's not Scharnhorst, but Bismarck, and it's inside the sheltered bridge. That's pretty sure.

May I ask, what's the name of this guy?
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Herr Nilsson wrote:Hi,

that's not Scharnhorst, but Bismarck, and it's inside the sheltered bridge. That's pretty sure.

May I ask, what's the name of this guy?
Hi Herr Nilsson,

Thank for confirmation that it is from Bismarck but i found confusing is that they show the same video in the Scharnhorst documentary with same people on bridge, i saw many news reel that did the same with u-boat even one where you can see the crew in a type VIIC and when u-boat surface it was a type II.

The man i am in contact with only seem to have a nick : Von Offman but he seem genuine in his reply to me but i know the internet is what it is but i did receive in the past amazing info and pictures i never saw in any books that help me greatly when i was modeling the various u-boat type.

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

That would be the enclosed wheel house on the peacetime navigation bridge which was one level below the combat bridge and forward of the conning tower.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:That would be the enclosed wheel house on the peacetime navigation bridge which was one level below the combat bridge and forward of the conning tower.
Thank Tommy, so i guess this station still yield some info on layout of the Admiral bridge and these pictures doesn't show a chart table but i think we should add one in the Admiral bridge.

Regards Hans
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

hanswittman wrote:
tommy303 wrote:That would be the enclosed wheel house on the peacetime navigation bridge which was one level below the combat bridge and forward of the conning tower.
Thank Tommy, so i guess this station still yield some info on layout of the Admiral bridge and these pictures doesn't show a chart table but i think we should add one in the Admiral bridge.

Regards Hans
There was a chart table/plot on the Admirals Bridge inside the tower mast structure on the port side. This plot room took about 2/3 of the space inside the tower mast structure on that level. Across on the starboard side, inside, were the radio telephone equipment. The forward 1/4 of inside the tower mast structure, on that level, was the Admiral's Bridge "Schutzstand". Directly aft, inside, was a small HEAD. And on the wing, aft to port, (outside) was the signal flags equipment station.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Dave Saxton wrote:
hanswittman wrote:

Regards Hans
There was a chart table/plot on the Admirals Bridge inside the tower mast structure on the port side. This plot room took about 2/3 of the space inside the tower mast structure on that level. Across on the starboard side, inside, were the radio telephone equipment. The forward 1/4 of inside the tower mast structure, on that level, was the Admiral's Bridge "Schutzstand". Directly aft, inside, was a small HEAD. And on the wing, aft to port, (outside) was the signal flags equipment station.
Hi Dave,

Thank that some great info that will help me a lot and i know i will be off topic a bit here but last night i was looking at a lot of pictures from the Bismarck and i notice that the bow anchor recesses position seem wrong in plans from anatomy of the ship.

When i model ships i always draw some perspective line from picture and then try to match my hull to the lines to see any errors in plans so that why i came to that conclusion.

Anyone can shed some light on the correct position for these since most plans put them too close to the bow?

By the way can someone tell me how to correctly insert images with the img tag here?

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

to insert images you need first to load them into some program like Photobucket, then copy the link to your text here.

hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:to insert images you need first to load them into some program like Photobucket, then copy the link to your text here.
Hi Tommy,

Thank but that exactly what i did copy paste the photobucket link in between the Img bracket and it still show as hyperlink instead of displaying the image in forum.

Regards hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Hallo Hans!

I normally just copy the image link from Photobucket and paste it direct into the text of my messages here without adding any brackets. The Image link already has them.

hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:Hallo Hans!

I normally just copy the image link from Photobucket and paste it direct into the text of my messages here without adding any brackets. The Image link already has them.
Hi Tommy,

Thank i think it would work this way since i remember doing so on another forum, will try it this way the next post since i will show you some work already done for the various stations of the Bismarck.

Just a little busy since we have a new member in the family, a little kitten call Maya and she wake me up often in the night!

Regards Hans
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Hi gentleman's,

I was looking at all the pictures i have from the Bismarck to see if there was a direct external access to the Admiral bridge except from the one from the funnel ladder and i don't see any other one so my guess is that it was via a door and stairs from the navigation deck.

The reason i ask is because i want to stay historically accurate but modeling internal section just to get to the Admiral bridge will put the polygon count higher and we have to strike a balance since the complete ship with all detail is simply impossible on current hardware technology.

The interface will also provide hotkeys that will allowed players to get to each station instantly but allowing real traveling from stations to stations will provide more realism.

Some will probably say that instantly getting to stations is not realistic but we can code the hotkeys to have a delay before the interface screen become available.

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Access was, as you speculate, by means of an internal set of stairs (companion ways). The admiral had a sea cabin at the base of the tower mast, as did the captain. Most officers had cabins near their primary watch stations.

hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:Access was, as you speculate, by means of an internal set of stairs (companion ways). The admiral had a sea cabin at the base of the tower mast, as did the captain. Most officers had cabins near their primary watch stations.
Hi Tommy,

Thank and that the conclusion i reach by doing more research last night, i still could make a basic staircase that go from the Admiral cabin to the Admiral bridge even if it would not be historically correct.

Only a basic staircase should be low on resources but would be more logical than the player using the funnel ladder to get there.

We want to give as much possible the possibility for players to walk on the available part of the ship in first person view.

I saw on my drawings that center structure of Admiral bridge served as shelter for Admiral so i think that this should also be model but there is no info about this part so far in my search.

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

This sheltered space in the tower mast did provide some splinter protection and protection from the weather in cruisers and battleships that did not have the enclosed admiral's bridge gallery. It was equipped with communications (phones, etc), gyro compass repeater, and possibly course and speed repeaters. However, my impression was it was seldom used by the admirals since the space was both confined and the view restricted compared to the bridge gallery. This led to Bismarck, Tirpitz, and Prinz Eugen being built with the gallery enclosed and older vessels retrofitted as time permitted.

hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:This sheltered space in the tower mast did provide some splinter protection and protection from the weather in cruisers and battleships that did not have the enclosed admiral's bridge gallery. It was equipped with communications (phones, etc), gyro compass repeater, and possibly course and speed repeaters. However, my impression was it was seldom used by the admirals since the space was both confined and the view restricted compared to the bridge gallery. This led to Bismarck, Tirpitz, and Prinz Eugen being built with the gallery enclosed and older vessels retrofitted as time permitted.
Hi Tommy,

That seem logical to me since the Admiral wouldn't want to be blind in an emergency situation, so i think we will forget modeling the shelter since it will not add any relevant gameplay.

I am pretty busy currently building the Atlantic Warfare website but soon it will be online(not official launch) so i will upload pictures of the work done so far on the Bismarck and we are planning for a new approach to involved the community in our work.

Section of our forum will be call CDDC for Community Dynamic Development Corner, where the members will be able to help us when we build a ship with their own research and knowledge and they will get higher ranking that will allowed them to get early game access and gain some exclusive features.

Regards Hans