We are developers of a new naval sim and we need some help

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

hanswittman

Re: We are developers of a new naval sim and we need some help

Post by hanswittman »

Herr Nilsson wrote:
tommy303 wrote:
Hi Tommy,

Thank for the info this will help us again with the modeling.

Regards Hans
As an afterthought, I would expect the admiral's bridge gallery to have at least a gyrocompass repeater and telephones. Three of the seven front square windows or portlights on the admirals bridge enclosure had circular clear screen devices. Most of the more complex equipment such as pitot log repeater would have been in the towermast on that level, remembering that the admirals open gallery had not originally been planned to be closed up.
On Tirpitz the admiral's bridge was pretty empty. No compass inside the admirals bridge enclosure (there were two outside, one starboard, one port). Four speaking tubes. Four folding tables on the outer walls below the windows next to the front corners. One locker on port at the towermast wall. One small raditator on starbord attached to the towermast wall between door and one of the three "windows" of the shelter. All other devices were in the shelter inside the towermast.
Hi Herr Nilsson,

Thank for the details about the Tirpitz this will again help us on modeling the Admiral bridge.

Regards Hans
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Hi everyone,

I spent 2 full days trying to find admiral bridge interior for any German ships and nada! I am amazed at how picture from interior of ships are close to nonexistent.

Probably that it was prohibited by the navy for security purpose.

I will have to look at other nationality ships just to get an idea of the general structure for the ceiling and walls.

I think it would made sense to have thick steel beam on ceiling and walls since it have to support other armored part on top.

And a lot of wires would probably be passing on walls and ceiling for the various controls.

Regards Hans
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Did you have any luck checking this link?

https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/

I understand Russia recently returned many photos that were taken away after WWII.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Found some photos there. Tried to cut & paste the links but didn't work. Don't know if you've seen any of them. May be worth a look.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

The enclosed portion of the admiral's bridge gallery was fairly thin metal and at most splinter proof, so perhaps 8mm. The shelter was largely of welded construction with window framing bolted in place. As stated previously, the enclosure was mostly a weather shelter and so the gallery itself was sparsely appointed with a pelorus at each wing. Most important instrumentation would have been in the tower mast at that level. I would just model it fairly plainly and not worry too much. Throw in some voice tubes and you pretty much have it.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

On Bismarck and Tirpitz, the night optical firecontrol directors were on the wings of the Admiral's Bridge-Starboard and Port.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

frontkampfer wrote:Did you have any luck checking this link?

https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/

I understand Russia recently returned many photos that were taken away after WWII.
Hi Frontkampfer,

Yes i already browse the archive but i didn't saw anything for admiral bridge.

Regards Hans
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:The enclosed portion of the admiral's bridge gallery was fairly thin metal and at most splinter proof, so perhaps 8mm. The shelter was largely of welded construction with window framing bolted in place. As stated previously, the enclosure was mostly a weather shelter and so the gallery itself was sparsely appointed with a pelorus at each wing. Most important instrumentation would have been in the tower mast at that level. I would just model it fairly plainly and not worry too much. Throw in some voice tubes and you pretty much have it.
Hi Tommy,

Thank for the info, i will upload some pictures of what i have done so far to get your opinion on it, probably tomorrow or Monday.

Regards Hans
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Dave Saxton wrote:On Bismarck and Tirpitz, the night optical firecontrol directors were on the wings of the Admiral's Bridge-Starboard and Port.
Hi Dave,

Yes that what my plans show also.

Regards Hans
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Hi gentleman's,

Anyone would have a clue about what company build the triple engine telegraph that we can see in almost every German battleships?

I have one partial view from the Scharnhorst find in a video and one very bad resolution from the Tirpitz open bridge and i miss critical views to reproduce it accurately.

I did a search on BBC company and they seem to only deliver the engine.

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Possibly you were correct on BBC as they supplied many electrical fittings including AC and DC motors helm controls, etc.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:Possibly you were correct on BBC as they supplied many electrical fittings including AC and DC motors helm controls, etc.
Hi Tommy,

I have contact a fellow in Germany that is suppose to have some info about this, just waiting from a reply from him.

Regards Hans
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Hi gentleman,

I have stumble on these 2 pictures that are said to be from the Bismarck and one seem like it is from the Admiral bridge since there is a window but the window doesn't seem to match the shape of the windows so i doubt it is from the admiral bridge.

Unfortunately the image resolution is horrible as you will see.

The other one seem like repeater compass and steering station.

Would like your opinion on it :

http://s886.photobucket.com/user/Hans_W ... sort=3&o=1

http://s886.photobucket.com/user/Hans_W ... k.jpg.html

I hope you can see the image since i am not familiar with the way you insert image on this forum.

Regards Hans
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

It's inside the sheltered bridge.

Bismarck and Tirpitz engine telegraphs had a differnt shape, so I don't know, if both were made by Siemens.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Herr Nilsson wrote:It's inside the sheltered bridge.

Bismarck and Tirpitz engine telegraphs had a differnt shape, so I don't know, if both were made by Siemens.
Hi Herr Nilsson,

I had a look at the Scharnhorst bridge and the windows seem to conform to the shape of the windows from the Scharnhorst.

I just capture better image resolution from video here:

http://s886.photobucket.com/user/Hans_W ... q.jpg.html

http://s886.photobucket.com/user/Hans_W ... n.jpg.html

Regarding the telegraph i am still waiting for a guy who have some info on it and so far no answer from him.

Regards Hans