main battery angles and dimensions

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Bernd Willmer

main battery angles and dimensions

Post by Bernd Willmer »

Hi all

I am about to start the turrets. I'm looking for the angle of the front and rear plates as well as the other dimensions.

Anyone has some exact data?

Tia!
Bye,

Bernd.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: main battery angles and dimensions

Post by Dave Saxton »

The front 340mm KC face plate is laid-back 11*. However it is also curved, and I don't recall the radius of the curve off the top of my head. I measured it once several years ago to find out if and how much it increased the totally obliquity through the secant angle (it did).

You can find out the radius from a plan view drawing, drawn accurately to scale. Take a pencil and tie a string to it. Then pin the string to a center point some distance in back of the curve. It's a trial and error exercise until you find the distance (length of string) that the pencil will trace the correct curve of the face plate. Measure the length of the string to scale. This is the radius of the curve.

The angle of "the angled facet" between the face plate and the roof plate is laid back 65* from the vertical. The rear plate is vertical, but also curved if I recall correctly (and it might be a compound radius). The rear "angled facet" appears to be also 65*.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Oops. That should be 360mm, not 340mm.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Bernd Willmer

Post by Bernd Willmer »

Thanks Dave. :ok: Will do a reconstruction of the turrets this year and post the results here ... :D
Bye,

Bernd.