Bismarck Emblem

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Base1Europe

Bismarck Emblem

Post by Base1Europe »

Hi,
this may have been covered elsewhere but I can't seem to find any info on it – can anyone explain the background of one of the Bismarck's associated emblem?
It's a three-leaf flower with some kind of leaf in the background. Thanks in advance.
paulcadogan

Re: Bismarck Emblem

Post by paulcadogan »

Hello,

The emblem is taken from the Bismarck family Coat of Arms.

https://www.houseofnames.com/bismarck-family-crest

I don't know the story behind the Coat of Arms though.....
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
aurora

Post by aurora »

Paul- would I be right in saying that the KMS Bismarck's emblem is just the flower taken from the Bismarck family coat of arms -see att'd

download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (21.26 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

I would say it's the shield emblazoned with the flower/leaf from the Coat of Arms not simply the flower - you can just make it out on her stem in this photo of her launch.

paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

And BTW -looks like it is a clover leaf that is represented with some other leaves behind?

Base1Europe

Post by Base1Europe »

Thanks for that.
I guess I'm interested in where the family connection with the three leafed clover in their coat of arms, originates from?
I'll try and research the family coat of arms a little further and see what it turns up.
I'm Irish so the three leaf clover (Shamrock as it's known here) is of particular interest. Of course there may be no connection between the Bismarcks and Ireland, but it'd be interesting to know.
Thanks again.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

The emblem does come from the Bismarck coat of arms. The azure or blue field of the shield symbolizes fidelity, piety, and sincerity; the clover leaf or trefoil represents the Holy Trinity; and the three oak leaves represent strength and age or longevity, and taken together with the azure background symbolizes the strength of will and soul to follow the word of God towards ultimate salvation.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
aurora

Post by aurora »

tommy303 wrote:The emblem does come from the Bismarck coat of arms. The azure or blue field of the shield symbolizes fidelity, piety, and sincerity; the clover leaf or trefoil represents the Holy Trinity; and the three oak leaves represent strength and age or longevity, and taken together with the azure background symbolizes the strength of will and soul to follow the word of God towards ultimate salvation.
Well- tommy303-that certainly puts that one to bed-cracking bit of research- that certainly eluded me
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
Base1Europe

Post by Base1Europe »

Thanks Tommy.
That's really interesting about the three leaf clover representing the Holy Trinity – that's exactly how (mythology / history) tells us that St Patrick explained the Trinity when he came as a missionary to Ireland – it's how we ended up with the Shamrock (three leaf clover) as our national symbol.
Wonder if there was any kind of a connection between the Bismarck family and Ireland, or if the Trinty / three leaf clover analogy is a common one.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

The three-leafed clover was a fairly common symbol in medieval Christianity, if I recall correctly. Certainly the trefoil or clover leaf pattern was widely used in church architecture.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

some basic info's :

The symbolic meaning of the clover has its popularity in Ireland, it acquired around the fifth century, a period in which St. Patrick was trying to subject the people inhabitant of the place to Christianity.
To reconnect the Holy Trinity to ancient beliefs, St. Patrick used the symbolism of nature clover because it was a very common plant in the hills Irish thus establishing a dialogue with the people of Ireland at the time, managing to "dupe" many who, for more convenience that for other reasons of faith, accepted the new religion that replaced gradually the old local beliefs.
St. Patrick was a fervent believer of the Christian religion and wanted to bring the word of what he believed God to the nations of Ireland, skillfully use the symbols of nature to succeed in its purpose because nature was the basis of the ancient religions.

Here clover succeeded with its three flaps, to represent the Son, the Father and the Holy Spirit, but also symbolically taking the three virtues of theology that is found in I Corinthians 13:13 in the Bible, or faith, love and hope .
It seems that this way of teaching the Christian faith took hold among the community, because until now the meaning of the clover has become the icon of St. Patrick and his religious passion.

The ancient Celts worshiped the clover because of its three lobes, since it possessed an understanding of nature that had generated many beliefs based on triads, so as you can see in Triskellion, the triple spiral, the triquetra, the brand of the druid and the various nodes illustrated by artists Celts.
The triad indicated is the divinity that time that the balance between the various energies, such as the mind, body and spirit.
On a more material, the people of Ireland, saw in clover a food source for cattle, very abundant throughout Ireland for this clover acquired connotations of fertility, abundance, stability, fertility for the Celts.

The infamous four-leaf clover is still considered a symbol of good luck today because of its rarity, according to Irish tradition, every leaf is the symbol of a different characteristic luck, more properly:

respect
abundance
love
bless you

From the spiritual point of view, the four-leaf clover can represent the same meanings of the fourth leaf clover with indicating the man or mankind.

The meaning of the clover and shamrocks in dreams indicates growth, financial gain, success, good health and the realization of its intentions, this is largely due to its color, because green is typically a point of contact to indicate a brain interested in refinement, comfort and satisfaction.
Also, the smell of clover is sweet and studies have shown that induces a feeling of calm which is in addition another symbolism associated with the clover | cloverleaf.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )