May 23/24 night shadowing and interception approach CS1/BC1

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Antonio Bonomi

Re: May 23/24 night shadowing and interception approach CS1/BC1

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

now that is clear what has really been the cause for ViceAdm Holland to miss the 02.00 enemy engagement we can move to further investigate what happened of Suffolk/enemy and Norfolk after.

Lets freeze for soem time the Suffolk/enemy and remain on Norfolk, ... since you like to analyze it.

We were left at 02.22 with PoW getting the Norfolk radio bearing on her own map on bearing 68° with Norfolk on course 220°at 30 knots ( ref. own Strategical map for course and war diary for speed ).

We know the Norfolk saw the shadow ( it was PoW ) at 02.29 at 9 sea miles from her.
We know Norfolk run into the shadow again ( it was still PoW ) at 02.55 ( no distance provided this time and no geographical own position ) while still running on course 220° ( ref. own strategical map ).
We know that at 02.47 and after at 02.56 the Suffolk got the enemy and reported it.

We know Norfolk immediately after Suffolk message turned to South East until 03.20 when had Suffolk on true bearing 318°-320° from her ( ref. own Strategical Plot).

We know that after she turned back on course 240° at 30 knots until 04.00, ... to alter course to 250° until 05.00, ... and after back on course 240° ... to get BC1 at 05.16 and being at true bearing 18° from PoW at 05.35 while still on course 240° at 30 knots, ... finally having the enemy on true bearing 276° from her at 05.41, ... while having the Suffolk on bearing 318°-320° again ( the famous D/6 on "The Plot" ) from her ( ref. own Strategical map for course and war diary for speed ).

Knowing all those details, ... it does not take much to reproduce her course in scale on top of the Hood and PoW correct one and see what really happened Sean.

Do you like to make a trial ?

Here you have the Hood/PoW track references, ... just plot Norfolk track using the above data until 05.41.
Norfolk_02.56.jpg
Norfolk_02.56.jpg (45.41 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

All,

Antonio has said
The missed enemy interception by Hood at 02.00 being due to incorrect geographical positions and consequent enemy position information provided by both the heavy cruisers.

and worse
now that we have clearly understood WHO " screwed up " ViceAdm L. Holland enemy interception at 02.00 and why it happened,
Incorrect.

The missed interception was due solely to darkness and very bad weather conditions. They made accurate navigation impossible for all the ships which had passed north of Iceland. British or German. We have had a mealy-mouthed grudging acceptance that German navigation was three times as bad as British, but it is immediately forgotten so as to proceed with blame allocation. Not what screwed up the interception but WHO. Cag’s latest information on Suffolk is very informative:
She continued West on the 30th her steering gyro was found to be wandering (possibly causing her positional problems?) which was corrected
The conditions made it impossible for either shadowing ship to keep visual contact at a range which allowed a reasonable chance of not being obliterated by Bismarck's guns. As been made clear in virtually every account it was only the superior radar outfit in Suffolk that made maintaining contact possible at all. Attempting to maintain visual contact in the prevailing conditions would have been suicidal for Norfolk.

As Cag observed there seems to here, as with other threads, a misguided belief that only by denigrating the professionalism, personal bravery and even honesty of several other decorated officers, can Vice Admiral Holland's reputation be vindicated. This is demonstrated by
If by bringing out the truth my goal was simply to fully restore ViceAdm L. Holland reputation thru it, on the other hand it is obvious that somebody else " light " was consequently going to be " darkened ", and that is the price for the truth.
Incorrect.

Virtually every critic of Holland has concerned themselves not with the lost early hours interception but with the "closed” A arcs approach. These critics think he should have closed more slowly and kept his A arcs open. It is true that if conditions had been better and Suffolk's position more accurate, he might have arrived ahead of Lutjens to the SW for a classic cross the T, and yet how long would only a two ship formation take to escape such a trap, when Scheer had done it with an entire fleet (twice) at Jutland? Why Holland was not decorated posthumously no one can know. As I stated in my article, I suspect many RN men could not forgive him for losing Hood, no matter the extenuating circumstances.

When Suffolk lost contact Holland was forced to abandon his original interception plan of waiting for daylight and improved conditions. Given the potential for Bismarck to evade, he was forced to bring forward interception, but with the weather remaining poor, as an experienced and professional officer, he knew the chances of CS1 and BC1's navigation being precisely the same in these conditions was zero. Therefore there would have to be adjustment, probably east or west to accommodate this error. There would have to be sufficient visibility to do something about this. As Grenfell reports Holland signalled to PoW "If the enemy is not sighted by ten past two, he would probably steer parallel to him until the cruisers regained touch, so as to make sure the enemy did not get ahead of the British squadron unsighted. The weather had not improved.

I have answered the questions that were posed and shown the rendition of W-W's "runaway" at 03:00 as 10 miles SE is grossly exaggerrated. I lack the techno ability to show the relevant portion from the Norfolk strategic map. It can be viewed here:

Marc has provided the missing element :clap:

download/file.php?id=1311

Page 35 of the Plot

I'm sure parties with no axe to grind will agree in this rendition it is no more than a mile or two. A quick jink to increase the range before adopting a closing course still in poor and variable visibility.

Now to my questions: the navigational shift symbol for Suffolk's position on her strategic map is shown on the legend. Where, when and how much was applied? Antonio shows shifts on his interception map but not their provenence. Based on Bismarck's position averaged for the other ships Ellis reported:
17. 0542 (B). Received Norfolk's 0541 reporting sighting enemy, followed by Prince of Wales' 0537 and Hood's 0543. The mean of these placed the enemy some 280°, 14 miles from Suffolk's plot position, and sights obtained shortly afterwards confirmed this. As, however, the Battle Cruiser Squadron was now in touch with the enemy, no amending position report was made at this point.
[/quote]

14 miles on 280T!

Why is Suffolk's position consistently shifted on headings lower than 270 to a "real" position? Just to close her on Bismarck to prove the Polygon of Perfidy? Earlier Norfolk's required shift was described as west, but on the latest Interception map it is virtually SW. Is there a representation of what Norfolk's navigators thought she should be moved by, on her strategical map based on later sunsight?

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Wadinga wrote: "The conditions made it impossible for either shadowing ship to keep visual contact at a range which allowed a reasonable chance of not being obliterated by Bismarck's guns."
Hi Sean,
totally incorrect.
Suffolk Strategical Plot reports 9 (nine) visual contacts on the enemy (drawn in black on the plot), from the first sighting till the battle.

Guess how many enemy visual contacts got Norfolk in the same period of time..... ZERO. : sorry, I stand corrected, to be precise they were 2, at 20:30 on 23 (when she was fired to by the enemy) and at 5:41 on 24 (enemy in sight), in between, just nothing.
Of course, due to her radar inferiority, no radar contacts too. What a shadower.....

Bye, Alberto
Last edited by Alberto Virtuani on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

please do not try to play with the wording, ... I do not care what caused the incorrect geographical position to be provided by the 2 heavy cruisers to Holland, ... probably, thanking CAG input, now we have also the technical reason for it to have happened on Suffolk ... not on Norfolk yet.
The conclusion is that now it is finally out of discussion that it was the real reason of his missed interception at 02.00, and reading above you agreed as well ... consequently lets close the matter here.

So, responding your above first 2 set of statements, ... I am absolutely correct about it, ... and if you read the comments above many already agreed with me, ... immediately and finally realizing the truth about it, ... apparently you are left alone on your opinion now.

Moving ahead ...

Now please do not jump on and off between Suffolk and Norfolk, ... and referring my above request to you and your unwillingness to do it, ... I am proceeding by showing you what will be the result of it.

We are talking 4+60+60+41 minutes = 165 minutes at average speed of 30 knots
On this elapsed timeframe from 02.56 until 05.41 the Norfolk sailed around 30+30+20+7,5 = 87,5 sea miles more or less.
Lets say around 86 sea miles due to the 03.00 and 03.20 main course changes (speed down from avg hour 30 to 28,8 between 3 and 4 am reference own war diary, than 30 knots until 6 am again ).
We can start from PoW plotted position at 02.22 having Norfolk at true bearing 68° at 8 sea miles ( ref. Norfolk 02.29 msg and PoW official map bearing of Norfolk at 02.22 ). Norfolk on course 220° at 30 knots.

I provided the other information about Norfolk course changes and speed above, ... from 02.56 until 05.41.

By plotting it correctly, we end up on my " polygon " at 05.35-05.41 ... as I had anticipated you above, ... which in reality is NOT my " polygon ", ... because it is the PoW Plan 4 by RN Admiralty on 1948 " polygon " ... the one you thought I had invented personally, ... but in reality was plotted by the RN strategical study office on 1948, ... and just reaching my same obvious conclusions having the other involved warship maps at hand ... :wink:

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

you asked me :
14 miles on 280T !

Why is Suffolk's position consistently shifted on headings lower than 270 to a "real" position? Just to close her on Bismarck to prove the Polygon of Perfidy? Earlier Norfolk's required shift was described as west, but on the latest Interception map it is virtually SW. Is there a representation of what Norfolk's navigators thought she should be moved by, on her strategical map based on later sunsight?
Sean, ... once again, ... forget any " perfid " intention to prove my case or to accuse anybody in line of principle, ... this just makes you not seeing the obvious and the reality lately.

Please start being relaxed and try to see just the truth if you can.

Stop for a second now, ... and make an easy reasoning with me.

I told you that communicated geographical positions by Suffolk should be moved 25 sea miles on true bearing 260°-270°west.
Similarly I told you that Norfolk communicated geographical positions should be moved 10 sea miles west on true bearing 230°-240°.

Is not so obvious to you that by doing those 2 corrective movements, now Suffolk from Norfolk will be around additional 14-15 sea miles (25-10=15) away and on true bearing around 280° more or less compared to the 2 previous positions ?

This simply because Norfolk is now lower than Suffolk due to the 2 above described correction factors introduced ?

Please always keep in mind that Suffolk and Norfolk were not sailing in parallel at same speed, ... so the general situation I have described you is valid for that particular timeframe, ... and it changed all the way thru the chase of course.

Are you with me now ?

Last edited by Antonio Bonomi on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hello Alberto,

Maybe your at sea experience has not included snow showers and fog in Mediterranean. One minute socked in to a few hundred yards the next visibility of several miles. I have worked in the Barents Sea in January. :D When it's dark 24 hours a day. :shock:

Since only Antonio's closest chums have seen more than the header block of Suffolk's Strategical plot, I really wouldn't know how many visual sightings are recorded. But I'll bet there are precious few between
2352 (B). Enemy momentarily re-sighted, steering 200°, 28 knots, and then disappeared into distant snowstorm. (Reported.)
and
0321 (B). Sighted enemy bearing 185°, 12 miles, course 240°.
and even then you couldn't be sure what you were seeing
16. 0325 (B). Enemy appeared to be altering course to starboard, so circled to northward to open the range to 15 miles, and continued shadowing by sight from enemy's starboard quarter. (Norfolk known, and B.C.S. assumed to be to port of enemy).
Of course if Antonio would just come clean over what the SSM says the nav shifts were, maybe I don't need to see it.

And Suffolk records how many rainstorms and mist obscured things the previous evening. This attempt to devalue Norfolk's efforts, handicapped by appalling conditions and very limited radar capability is frankly as tedious as the "he said 10 miles!" business. :D

Let's put you on Norfolk's bridge in less than a mile visibility, when you suddenly pop out into six miles and discover Bismarck at 2,500 yds range. Have you read what happened to HMS Black Prince at Jutland? You know what happened at Matapan!

All the best
wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Cag

Post by Cag »

Hi All

Have had a look at Norfolk's log and it does give miles run per hour so have quickly calculated the following

02.00-03.00 29.7nm travelled ÷ 60 minutes (I realise this is unfair as a precise figure can't be known due to sea conditions manoeuvres etc) = 0.495nm per minute × 4 minutes = 1.98nm

03.00-04.00 28.nm
04.00-05.00 30.0nm
05.00-06.00 30.0nm ÷60= 0.5nm per minute × 41 minutes=20.5nm
1.98+28.8+30.0+20.5= 81.28nm

Her log shows differing revs used which is again a mean average and tells us nothing really.

The fact that every ship to varying degrees was out on its position does make this task a very complex one. I do still maintain that if the ships log entries record shadowing Bismarck and Prinz Eugen then that is what those present at the time considered themselves to be doing at whatever distance they were, would we consider that Holland and BC1 were also shadowing the movements of the enemy to enable battle to be brought?

Hope this helps Best wishes
Cag.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello evevrybody,

@ CAG,

I think you need to look under the distance columns to both the miles column as well as the tenths column to have the correct speed and sea miles ( nautical miles ) run on that hour elapsed timeframe.

Please take a look at May 24th, 1941 Norfolk log again and confirm me that they are :

From 12.00 until 01.00 am -> 30, 2
From 01.00 until 02.00 am -> 30, 2
From 02.00 until 03.00 am -> 29, 7
From 03.00 until 04.00 am -> 28, 8
From 04.00 until 05.00 am -> 30, 0
From 05.00 until 06.00 am -> 30, 0

Now you can redo correctly your precise calculations ... but you are correct anyhow, ... since I made a 5 sea miles error above ... I stand corrected ... :wink: .. I am better on computer graphics simulation lately ... than with fast mathematics calculations to respond here in ... :oops:

I agree with you from 02.56 until 05.41 Norfolk sailed : 1.98 + 28.8 + 30.0 + 20.5 = 81.28 sea miles ( nm )

Alberto Virtuani

Wadinga wrote: "....Maybe your at sea experience has not included snow showers and fog in Mediterranean......This attempt to devalue Norfolk's efforts, handicapped by appalling conditions and very limited radar capability is frankly as tedious as the "he said 10 miles!" business. :D...... "
Hi Sean,
it's not an attempt, it's a fact that the 2 cruisers "shadowing" efforts and performances were very different. The bad weather/visibility conditions (that I may not have experienced in the Med....) were the same for both British cruisers in North Atlantic.

Suffolk (with a better radar, I admit) did a good shadowing effort. She picked up the enemy not only via radar but also visually (9 times) during that night, ensuring he had identified the ships he sighted when sending messages (see messages at 2:47 and 2:56, in 9 minutes Ellis was able to deduce it was the enemy and not a couple "merchantmen". Also, please see your above posted messages where the word "enemy" is always present) and thus providing precious information to BC1.
I just criticize Ellis later decision to enlarge distance at 5:42, after BC1 "enemy in sight message", but we know now from his autobiography which were his evaluations.... :wink:

Norfolk stationed to Eastward, just following the movements that Suffolk was communicating, without any direct contact with the enemy for the whole night . Not a single radar or visual contact after the bad experience at 20:20 and up to 5:41.
When he sighted something (real or not ,as at 2:29 and 2:55), W-W just turned away from the "unknown contact", without even checking (or being able to deduce, as Ellis did) what was this contact, thus providing no info to BC1 and not even correcting the Suffolk wrong position (by getting within visual contact at least with the latter).

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ All,

here you can see the track the Norfolk sailed from 02.56 until 05.41 : 1.98 + 28.8 + 30.0 + 20.5 = 81.28 sea miles ( nm )

Map_Norfolk_0256_0541.jpg
Map_Norfolk_0256_0541.jpg (124.73 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
@ Wadinga,

now you can see the reality of the Norfolk track after 02.56, ... how she went away to South East after the Suffolk 02.56 enemy report, until 03.20 ... and how she came back toward the enemy ... to be finally at 05.41 on 18° true bearing from the PoW.

Here on the " Polygon " of Plan 4 :
Norfolk_0541.jpg
Norfolk_0541.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Antonio Bonomi wrote: ... and as you can see on the 2 IWM photos I attach here below they have been also addressed about their duty by RearAdm W.F. Wake-Walker just before departing for the Denmark Strait.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205138484

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205138485
Hi all,

Just a thought on the timing of these two photos: If you look at the camo on Suffolk's hull, it looks fairly fresh with only minor blemish. That suggests to me that the photos were taken shortly after Suffolk rejoined the fleet in March 1941, sporting her new disruptive scheme, after her lengthy repair and refit following her severe damage off Norway in April 1941. She went straight to the Northern Patrol, joining Norfolk.

Had the photos been taken later, closer to or during May, I suspect the camo would have been looking quite weathered....

So I would doubt these photos have any specific relevance to the Bismarck operation - especially given that Cag has shown that the two ships did not spend any time in harbour together in the immediate run-up and in the aftermath.

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Paul Cadogan,

you are making a very good point and I agree with your evaluations about the Suffolk camouflage paint status.

I think that at this point the only sure assumption we can make about those 2 photos is that they show Suffolk crew In Iceland being addressed by RearAdm W.F. Wake-Walker.

The Royal Navy Official Photographer Coote, R. G. G. (Lt) on board is another point to be evaluated ... :think:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/searc ... %29&query=

I think that I have to add March and April 1941 war diaries of Suffolk on my list at Kew-PRO next time ... assuming an event like that, ... the CS1 Commander on board ... and the Royal Navy Official Photographer too, ... have been recorded ... :think:

Alberto Virtuani

Paul Cadogan wrote: "If you look at the camo on Suffolk's hull, it looks fairly fresh with only minor blemish. That suggests to me that the photos were taken shortly after Suffolk rejoined the fleet in March 1941, sporting her new disruptive scheme, "
Hi Paul,
you are of course right about the condition of the painted camo scheme.

However, I would say that the crew clothes suggest a late spring / early summer period in Iceland more than a winter or early spring one. The officer (or petty-officer, I'm unable to say) mounting the ladder in the photo http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205138485 is clearly wearing just his jacket as well as all the officers around W-W.

I doubt such clothes could be worn in March in Iceland during a ceremony on the quarterdeck (except under abnormal weather conditions), thus I suspect May or even June is more likely: possibly the ship had been repainted especially for W-W visit.....

Bye, Alberto

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

@wadinga
wadinga wrote: Why Holland was not decorated posthumously no one can know. As I stated in my article, I suspect many RN men could not forgive him for losing Hood, no matter the extenuating circumstances.
In case of being killed in face of the enemy one could just be awarded with the highest award (Victoria Cross) or the lowest decoration (MID). In case of Holland's death there was no high degree of heroism that led to his death. That means it was not enough for the Victoria Cross and therefore just MID was left. Quite unfair, but that was the rule until 1979.

@paulcadogan
paulcadogan wrote:
Antonio Bonomi wrote: ... and as you can see on the 2 IWM photos I attach here below they have been also addressed about their duty by RearAdm W.F. Wake-Walker just before departing for the Denmark Strait.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205138484

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205138485

So I would doubt these photos have any specific relevance to the Bismarck operation - especially given that Cag has shown that the two ships did not spend any time in harbour together in the immediate run-up and in the aftermath.
Wake-Walker moved from HMS Norfolk to HMS Devonshire shortly after the Bismarck operation, but I agree that there is probably no specific relevance.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Cag

Post by Cag »

Hi All

I tend to agree with Mr Cadogan as regards Suffolks camouflage. For my sins I tried to understand RN camouflage patterns and colours, the main problem being that the Admiralty in its wisdom threw out all details in the 50's and 60's I believe.

It is only with the work of people like Mr Raven and research in the little still remaining in archives that groups now are beginning to gain insight into what was done.

Suffolk was the 2nd large ship given the disruptive camouflage after HMS Queen Elizabeth and the matt paints used were not very hard wearing being emulsion types rather than oil based (Which were reverted to later in the war but of a semi-gloss nature).

Therefore just the journey from the UK to Iceland would have caused damage let alone anything else and I don't think I've seen mention of 'painting ship' in her log.

Herr Nilsson has also hit the nail squarely on the head, in my research into the loss of PoW and Repulse there are instances of actions by crew that deserve medals.

PoW Padre Rev Parker stayed with wounded at the bottom of a shaft and despite being told that the hatch was to be sealed said that he could not leave his mates when in need and the hatch was sealed.

Commander Lawson of PoW allowed his men to seek safety and stayed trying to regain steering despite having the escape hatch closed above him.

Midshipman Davies of Repulse stayed at his gun whilst the ship sank, and continued to fire until overtaken by water and drowned.

Sick berth attendant Bridgewater of Repulse continuously went back to his aid station to rescue wounded whilst the ship sank until he had to escape via a porthole or drown.

All these men and others should have received recognition but only received mentions in despatches as the action was classed as a defeat.

The Bismarck action is different as for both sides it had defeat in it but also victory therefore in victory the British gave out medals, again Holland deserved more but Lütjens did not receive the iron cross for the loss of Bismarck?

Others like Leach and Wake-Walker received theirs I presume for their part in the destruction of Bismarck PoW straddled the Bismarck 3 times and Bismarck suspended any further operations and headed for France (Hits from these must have been a prevalent theory at the time from the PoW gunnery reports of straddles on Bismarck despite the hope that it was Hood that had hit the enemy?). Norfolk was in the chase at the beginning and in the action at the end and hitting Bismarck, the only ship in the fleet to have done this.

If Bismarck had reached France what extra recognition would Lütjens have received and would any medal have been given to anyone by their lordships up in the Admiralty that question is I think an easy one to answer.

Best wishes
Cag.