Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by José M. Rico »

yellowtail3 wrote:I know you don't like it, Karl, but fact is, Bismarck was a nazi battleship. Squirm and carp all you want, then have a look at her fantail and the flag she was flying - Nazi. Nazi battleship. nazi, nazi, nazi.
Relax, we all know the Bismarck sailed under the flag of the Third Reich, but there were no war criminals aboard the Bismarck and there are no nazis in this forum.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Thanks, Jose!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

José M. Rico wrote:
yellowtail3 wrote:I know you don't like it, Karl, but fact is, Bismarck was a nazi battleship. Squirm and carp all you want, then have a look at her fantail and the flag she was flying - Nazi. Nazi battleship. nazi, nazi, nazi.
Relax, we all know the Bismarck sailed under the flag of the Third Reich, but there were no war criminals aboard the Bismarck and there are no nazis in this forum.
Thanks, José - then knowing that, no one should be whining about the use of nazi. I am quite relaxed... but it seems others have gotten worked up over the term nazi. Do you think I need to relax? Let's review what I actually posted:
That nazi battleship did put on quite a chase. The outcome in the end was a good one, otherwise she probably would have interfered with supplies to our friends the Brits, which would have furthered the nazi cause.

thank goodness she was impotent when they caught up with her...
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much of a foul there. But Karl got offended, followed by others, now you admonish me to relax. Some take it upon themselves to inform me - helpfully? - that there were no war criminals on Bismarck, as though I'd said there were. I never posted there were war criminals or whatever on that ship - I simply referred to the ship as "that Nazi battleship" which seems to have caused all kinds of upset. It was a nazi battleship. The Nazi forces - German forces - were regularly referred to at the time as Nazis. Or Germans.

I think others could use you admonishment to relax, more appropriately that I. Someone complained that I'd used an 'ignorant insult'... but you know, I'm I'm an educated guy, I know my history, I'm comfortable with using Nazi/German interchangeably for Wehrmacht 1939-45. If others are offended by that... well... perhaps that is something they ought to examine, and it's there problem, not mine.

Perhaps I've missed something, but this is a lot of upset over not much...
Shift Colors... underway.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

The accent falls on "Relax"... :D
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

yellowtail3 wrote:
José M. Rico wrote:
Thanks, José - then knowing that, no one should be whining about the use of nazi. I am quite relaxed... but it seems others have gotten worked up over the term nazi. Do you think I need to relax? Let's review what I actually posted:
That nazi battleship did put on quite a chase. The outcome in the end was a good one, otherwise she probably would have interfered with supplies to our friends the Brits, which would have furthered the nazi cause.

thank goodness she was impotent when they caught up with her...
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much of a foul there. But Karl got offended, followed by others, now you admonish me to relax. Some take it upon themselves to inform me - helpfully? - that there were no war criminals on Bismarck, as though I'd said there were. I never posted there were war criminals or whatever on that ship - I simply referred to the ship as "that Nazi battleship" which seems to have caused all kinds of upset. It was a nazi battleship. The Nazi forces - German forces - were regularly referred to at the time as Nazis. Or Germans.

I think others could use you admonishment to relax, more appropriately that I. Someone complained that I'd used an 'ignorant insult'... but you know, I'm I'm an educated guy, I know my history, I'm comfortable with using Nazi/German interchangeably for Wehrmacht 1939-45. If others are offended by that... well... perhaps that is something they ought to examine, and it's there problem, not mine.

Perhaps I've missed something, but this is a lot of upset over not much...
I'm not spending much time over all this. It is quite obvious that you are using the term "nazi" (here and in other threads as well) in a pejorative manner in order to make others overreact, and that can be considered a form of trolling from your part.

In any case, Bismarck's 71st anniversary is over now and I am closing this thread.