Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

User avatar
Karl Heidenreich
Senior Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:19 pm
Location: San José, Costa Rica
Contact:

Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by Karl Heidenreich » Sun May 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Today 71 years ago some 2,000 german sailors lost their lives in one of the most dramatic and meaningful naval actions of World War II. Three days before more than 1,000 british sailors shared this fate when Bismarck sunk the British capital vessel Hood and put Battleship Prince of Wales on the run.
There are many "heroe" ships in popular media nowadays, ships with "presidential citations" but which has never, ever, fought so desperate battles, never fought a surface action, never sunk anything, never endure such damage and never gave their ultimate sacrificy to the fatherland. There are a lot of misleading in TV documentaries and cheap military history magazines that try to make believe different from what happened three quarters of a century ago, even at the cost of their own allies of the time British, Soviet, etc.
However in forums like this one and in real research books and accounts (as Mullenheim Rechberg's one) the real "inconvinient thruth" is emerging.
If there was a hero ship that fought against a numerical superior enemies, that was hunted by battleships, battlecruisers, aircraft carriers, cruiser and destroyers and that never fought in a 1:1 situation, was Bismarck and Bismarck alone.
So, rest to the crews of Bismarck, Hood and those at PoW who also gave their real heroic lifes to the altar of Duty, Honor and Country. To the real Hero Ships.

Regards,
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill

User avatar
Patrick McWilliams
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by Patrick McWilliams » Sun May 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Yes Karl, I echo your thoughts on the enduring impact of this wonderful ship. And I use that term without apology.

Bismarck's extremely brief career - a comet flashing across the sky - was scintillating (an adjective I used with reference to the Denmark Strait battle thread).

Of course, there are people here who enjoy harping on about Bismatck's many many weaknesses... For goodness sake, what other capital ship has held us riveted to our seats for many years? (Dont answer that all you gainsayers!)

Equally, there are those who could speciously be termed fanboys.

In an olnline forum, isn't that the nature of the beast?

Anyhow, rest in peace all those that died on 24 and 27 June 1941.

User avatar
frontkampfer
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ - USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by frontkampfer » Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 am

Rest In Peace!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"

yellowtail3
Senior Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by yellowtail3 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:14 am

That nazi battleship did put on quite a chase. The outcome in the end was a good one, otherwise she probably would have interfered with supplies to our friends the Brits, which would have furthered the nazi cause.

thank goodness she was impotent when they caught up with her...
Shift Colors... underway.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7593
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by RF » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm

yellowtail3 wrote:That nazi battleship.... which would have furthered the nazi cause.
...
Herein lies a conundrum.

The crew and officers of this ''nazi battleship'' were not the fanatical followers of the Fuehrer that were the Waffen SS, some including Lutjens were of distant Jewish descent and not supporters of the NSDAP ideology.

The fact that the ship had swastikas painted on it and flew the swastika flag doesn't necessarily entitle the battleship itself to be called nazi, any more for example than the Graf Spee and Langsdorf, or the Atlantis and Rogge. Many of the KM officers and ratings went on to serve in the Federal West German Navy because they were like you and me - innocent of the crimes committed by Nazi Germany.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

ede144
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by ede144 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

RF
This is a post from you which I can agree 100%
Regards
Ede

User avatar
frontkampfer
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ - USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by frontkampfer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 am

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, Nazi is term that is used whenever anyone talks about WWII German 'whatever". The sailors on Bismarck and other ships sailed under the banner that their country adopted and even if they despised the regime they served. As RF said many went on to serve the post war Federal government honorably! It is all typical of our society that is so emotionally shaped to know the difference and they use the handy labels that the media have fashioned-IMHO!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"

User avatar
Karl Heidenreich
Senior Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:19 pm
Location: San José, Costa Rica
Contact:

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by Karl Heidenreich » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 am

RF:
Herein lies a conundrum.

The crew and officers of this ''nazi battleship'' were not the fanatical followers of the Fuehrer that were the Waffen SS, some including Lutjens were of distant Jewish descent and not supporters of the NSDAP ideology.

The fact that the ship had swastikas painted on it and flew the swastika flag doesn't necessarily entitle the battleship itself to be called nazi, any more for example than the Graf Spee and Langsdorf, or the Atlantis and Rogge. Many of the KM officers and ratings went on to serve in the Federal West German Navy because they were like you and me - innocent of the crimes committed by Nazi Germany.
Correct. Calling "nazi battleship" looks like coming from the screenplay from a stupid Hollywood movie like U 571 or Unglorious Bastards or Red Tails. Rubbish.

ede144:
RF
This is a post from you which I can agree 100%
Regards
Ede
Agree 100% with both.

frontkampfer:
Meaning no disrespect to anyone, Nazi is term that is used whenever anyone talks about WWII German 'whatever". The sailors on Bismarck and other ships sailed under the banner that their country adopted and even if they despised the regime they served. As RF said many went on to serve the post war Federal government honorably! It is all typical of our society that is so emotionally shaped to know the difference and they use the handy labels that the media have fashioned-IMHO!
I like this frontkampfer guy. I have never read a post from him in which I disagree. :ok:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill

yellowtail3
Senior Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by yellowtail3 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:08 am

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Correct. Calling "nazi battleship" looks like coming from the screenplay from a stupid Hollywood movie like U 571 or Unglorious Bastards or Red Tails. Rubbish.
I know you don't like it, Karl, but fact is, Bismarck was a nazi battleship. Squirm and carp all you want, then have a look at her fantail and the flag she was flying - Nazi. Nazi battleship. nazi, nazi, nazi.

what's the big deal?
Shift Colors... underway.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7593
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by RF » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 am

yellowtail3 wrote: I know you don't like it, Karl, but fact is, Bismarck was a nazi battleship. Squirm and carp all you want, then have a look at her fantail and the flag she was flying - Nazi. Nazi battleship. nazi, nazi, nazi.

what's the big deal?
This post is a complete ignorant insult to my post above. This sort of abuse the forum can do without.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
frontkampfer
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ - USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by frontkampfer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:15 pm

This post is a complete ignorant insult to my post above. This sort of abuse the forum can do without.
Totally agree!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"

lwd
Senior Member
Posts: 3810
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:15 am
Location: Southfield, USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by lwd » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 pm

RF wrote:
yellowtail3 wrote: I know you don't like it, Karl, but fact is, Bismarck was a nazi battleship. Squirm and carp all you want, then have a look at her fantail and the flag she was flying - Nazi. Nazi battleship. nazi, nazi, nazi.
what's the big deal?
This post is a complete ignorant insult to my post above. This sort of abuse the forum can do without.
I disagree. Now I don't like using the term myself however the Wehrmacht was controled by the Nazi Government. Thus it is legitimate to refer to the units and equipment as Nazi even if many/most of the individuals weren't. On the otherhand the KM managed to a large extent to avoid the activities that earned the Nazi's their infamy so I prefer not to attach that label to them even if it is a legitimate usage.

User avatar
frontkampfer
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ - USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by frontkampfer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm

If someone wants to use that term that is their perogative. Kind of like calling all things Soviet, Red or Commie!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"

lwd
Senior Member
Posts: 3810
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:15 am
Location: Southfield, USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by lwd » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 pm

frontkampfer wrote:If someone wants to use that term that is their perogative. Kind of like calling all things Soviet, Red or Commie!
Similar but more accurate as Red or Communist or "Commie" could equaly well refer to things that were Comunist Chinese, Vietnamese, Cuban, etc.

User avatar
frontkampfer
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ - USA

Re: Bismarck's 71st anniversary

Post by frontkampfer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Yes, those also!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"

Locked