Tovey's decision

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Thorsten Wahl

Re: Tovey's decision

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

There is no positive or negative confirmation on the(not) use of RPC for Bismarck.

Most of the problems with firecontrol equipment were adressed to Scharnhorst and Gneisenau but "parts of the fire control do not meet the requirements of reliability and robustness"
and they also mentioned problems with the level of training wich was leading to big deviations between theoretical an practical ROF

the general statement in SKL reports was "the shooting results of Bismarck and Tirpitz are showing an ballistical excellent 38 cm turret". Regardless there were shortcomings to be solved at fast as possible.

My personal opinion on the theme is, that the Tirpitz shooting in summer 1941 was far better then the shooting of Bis at Denmark Strait.
Probably T was better prepared and most of the recognised shortcomings has been solved during the exercise period of the ship. Additional the firing methods could have been improved during this time.

Even detailed information about the shooting against Hessen is missed, but its handed that T achieved 9 hits at battery shootings at 25 km distance against the 25 m broad target ship Hessen wich was handled in a combat like behavior. Usual output at exercise shootings of the Kriegsmarine was, to my knowledge, around 10 shoots per gun also in sum 80 shots . If my adoption on the number of shots is correct this is near the optimal possible theoretical performance of the SK 38.

I have also seen a british report on the SK 38 battery at Hanstholm . The german commander states there, that he achieved 30% hits at an exercise shoting at 30 km. but this seems in excess to high.
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!